1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dexter finale thoughts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StaggerLee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I searched, but all I could find was a Season 6 thread (really, we didn't have a single post on last season?). What was everyone's thoughts about the finale last night?

Judging from the reaction among the masses, it was terribly received. Personally, I thought it left a lot to be desired. I was hoping for something more epic, something more "final."

----------------------spoilers ahead------------------------------------------
    ----------stop reading if you haven't watched yet----------------------

And I realize we have to suspend disbelief in this entire series, but how can nobody notice Dexter A.) unplugging Deb's machine (alarms don't go off in nurse's station?); B.) Dexter wheeling her body out of the hospital; or C.) Harrison nowhere to be found after Dexter's "boat crash"?

Talking to a friend earlier today, I think it would have been better if they had just ended it when Hannah and Harrison are walking away after she reads the news of Dexter's boat being found. The whole Dexter as a lumberjack thing didn't make sense to me. As long as he's alive, he's going to want to kill and he's going to want to find Hannah and Harrison. So much for closure.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Really poor season and resulting poor finale.
    So many tortured plot points.

Spoiler -----

The PI and marshal knew that Deb and Dexter were harboring Hannah for weeks. A simple tail on either of them would have resolved this season eight episodes ago.

3. StaggerLee

YES! That bugged the shit out of me. Like the marshal walks up on Deb just seconds after Hannah walks into the house to start dinner. What are the odds that she doesn't come back out while the marshal is there?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let me know how you drive a boat miles out into the ocean, into the teeth of a hurricane, with the boat splintering, and you make it out alive.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds as if I haven't missed much in the 2 1/2 years since I gave up on the show

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You saved approximately 25 hours of your life you'd never get back.

This season by far was the worst. I was only in it because I've come this far.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess Trinity is kinda hard to top. I made it about halfway through the season with the runaway gal who was blackmailing Dexter, but it was just not compelling anymore.

8. StaggerLee

Same for me. I should have stopped after Trinity, but I decided to stick with it because I had so much invested in the show. Every week for the past two years, I've hoped that it would get better.

And your question about making it out of a hurricane was one of my big pet peeves. I can't believe not a single person stood up and said "Seriously, how is any of this going to fly?"

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guys from 'Car 54' could've caught Hannah two months ago.

10. So they basically ripped off Million Dollar Baby and The Dark Knight Rises and called that their series finale.

Considering how lazy the writers/producers have been in these recent money-grabbing years, that sounds about right.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This show leaves me feeling disappointed, like it could have been so much better. I watched the first six seasons, heard the last two sucked, so I haven't watched them but read about them.

For example, there were many plot points that just went unresolved. What was the deal with Rita's first marriage? Seems like that could have been mined for something. Astor and Cody essentially vanished after she died too - I got the sense that they were just too inconvenient for the writers, so they were made to vanish. Too many characters had wild personality swings the last couple of seasons from what had been established for them the first few.

I don't know if there was some kind of writing staff overhaul at some point, but it really feels like a different crew moved in after the Trinity arc, and that the new crew had fully come in and made a royal mess of things by the end.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Fake suicide by hurricane in which the main character abandons his son and the love of his life has to be about as bad as an ending can be.

Draft saved Draft deleted