1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester: Holding out and highly quotable

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 23, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Do you really think he can beat out Kyle Matthews?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This thread makes me long for the days of Mike Tomczak.

3. joe

joe Active Member

What's the average life span for a complete stud returner? Seriously. How many good years do these guys have in them? Obviously Hester can change the face of a game, but how much longer will he be able to do that?

I have no answers, only questions.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The problem, though, is the Bears have to play him regularly on offense before they figure out if he's worth a shitpot of money. And he hasn't played regularly on offense since high school. Yes, he COULD be great. He COULD be one of the rarest weapons ever seen. But he was an offensive curiosity even at Miami. Maybe he'd be awesome. And maybe he'd just be a guy with one tool.

They have nothing to lose by playing him regularly this year. But they shouldn't give him millions before that.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Forte's hope is that he wasn't drafted early in the first round like the rest of them. plus from a non-traditional power . . .

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What does it say about the Bears when the best pure receiver in Chicago is pitching for the Cubs?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Look, take it from someone who follows the Bears regularly: It makes no goddamn sense to pay Rashied Davis almost twice what Devin Hester makes. Hester deserves more money, whether you think he'll be an every down star or not. Give him a $400,000 raise, then tell him you'll talk about renegotiating after this season. You're paying your two overrated tight ends something like $7 million between them. Are you telling me that Desmond Clark will have six times the impact that Hester will for the Bears this year? Because that's how he's being paid.

Desmond Clark can gargle my balls.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Devin deserves much more than he's currently being paid.

While some say he isn't an every down player, his effect on the game goes beyond him being on the field on every down. Most teams would love to be in the Bears position where their offense has a chance to start a drive on their own 40 yard line.

What do you think Peyton Manning would do if having a 60 yards of field to work with? It's not Devin's fault that the Bears offense resembles the Keystone Cops. His true worth isn't taken advantage of to the degree it should be because of the Bears ineptness offensively.

He's definitely worth more than what he's getting, I don't see how that is being argued.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Simple. Go defend the Royals all day. That alone gives you plenty of hubris. ;)

10. JakeandElwood

Hester is back in camp today, but it's not clear if he has a new deal and if not, why he changed his mind.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/07/bears-camp-da-2.html

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's fine. A $400,000 raise is reasonable. I know where you're coming from...as I think I've said before, my wife is a Bears fan, so I see more of their games and hear more about how much they suck :D than I could possibly want otherwise.

But it sounded like he wanted a lot more than a $400,000 raise two days ago. And for once, the Bears are right to be cautious. I'd still bet Hester is more likely to be a curiosity on offense than a legitimate option.

12. JakeandElwood

He seems like he could be a great slot receiver, but not a #1.

Draft saved Draft deleted