1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester: Holding out and highly quotable

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd make a bet on that.

And I knew Hester had double digits in catches and a couple TDs. So did Renaldo Nehemiah in 1983 and 1984.

2. cubs

cubs Member

My personal favorite Devin Hester video.

On a different note....Forte will be the week 1 starter unless a.peterson beats him out. Kevin Jones will not be ready for week one. He will probably start the year on the physically unable to perform list.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The debate over what to pay Hester is a lot like the argument over paying big bucks to a closer. Do you break the bank for a guy who only plays an itty-bitty part of the game? On the other hand, how much does he affect the rest of the game? Hester affects field position just because teams are so scared to kick to him, and stupid when they do. Of course, as has been noted, it's the difference between a drive stalling on the 22 or the 42, but at least Hester can give the defense the benefit of not having their backs against the wall every drive.

So do you pay him, say, like the Yankees pay Mariano Rivera?

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The way the NFL does contracts, with draft position mattering so much and the deals so back-loaded as to be laughable, makes this kind of holdout/posturing numbingly familiar. I understand the injury risk, but the first big contract needs to be a year or two in so the market and value make sense.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The problem with the Bears is they only want to cough up money for shitty offensive players.

Not good, young ones that can actually have an impact on the game. If you're afraid to pay Hester a bunch of money because he doesn't play enough, play him more. Hell, put him at fricken runningback. Or tell him, on every first down, to run a deep corner and throw the ball to the deep sidelines. Every first down. (Got a better plan? Show me.) He's too fast to cover one-on-one. He could be a big-time weapon, but the Bears previously preferred to give Cedric Benson the ball so he could fall forward for a 2-yard-gain before fumbling or slamming into the back of his offensive line.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Thank you. Exactly.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is great, but I must point out that Curtis Benson never, ever fell forward.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Curtis Benson? I know this was accidental, but it works.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Sweetness himself gained more yards after the whistle than Benson will ever gain from scrimmage.

Cedric Benson would get knocked down trying to run through one of those halftime banners cheerleaders hold up outside locker rooms at high school games.

P.S. Is Curtis the Benson brother with talent?

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Curtis Enis, Cedric Benson... after a while, they all look like the same guy. That's a warning to you, Cedric Forte. :)

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, hopefully nobody will be posting about Kevin Salaam at the end of the year.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Cade McGrossman should be the starting quarterback...

Draft saved Draft deleted