1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester: Holding out and highly quotable

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080723-devin-hester-holdout-chicago-bears,1,2803042.story

I didn't know Hester was this, um, well-spoken. The reporter must've been ear to ear on the phone, listening to this...

"I can't go out and play this year making $445,000. Come on, man.''

"You should pay me like I'm one of a kind,'' Hester said. "It's like dating a girl. When you find somebody who is real special, you're going to do whatever it takes to keep her. You might cut back on what you're giving your mom to give to her. And that's how I feel they should treat me.''

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Does that mean I should avoid talking about his mother when he's on the rag?

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Think Deion taught him how to talk like that?

4. They should pay him like he's their only scoring threat.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

you also forgot "extremely stupid."

he's a one-trick pony. The Bears will finish 6-10 with or without him.

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

And if they still have this guy, they don't need him for that trick...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

He's already the greatest kick returner in NFL history.

The Bears have the worst skill position players in football, by a huge margin.

F*ck them and their solipsistic ownership/management.

Pay him. He is literally the only reason not to change the channel when the Bears aren't on defense.

/lifelongbearsfanboiloser

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Wow. Seems like Hester has an over-inflated self worth. He's not big enough to be an every down receiver. He's an exceptional return man, no doubt, but if teams would wise up and just not kick the fucking ball to him, then he's rather ineffective.

On the plus side, I'd love to know what it's like to walk around with hubris like that, even for a day.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Hubris aside, teams have wised up and not kicked the ball to him, and the Bears start at the 40.

Of course, thanks to all the other brilliant moves that team has made, they end up punting from the 42.

He is by FAR the best offensive weapon they have. He's right ---- he is worth more than 445 large ---- but he's stuck with the money he has. And with an ego.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

ya know ... when guys give us cliches, we rip 'em

and i guess when they give us good quotes ... we rip 'em too?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Even if he isn't kicked to, he still greatly affects field position, especially on kickoffs. And when a team actually does kick to him he's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. But if he's asking for money that a star receiver would get he's delusional.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Bears' best case scenario at quarterback is Rex Grossman.

Think about that for a minute. Clearly Hester and his agent have.

Draft saved Draft deleted