1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester, a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hester went two years in between because people weren't kicking to him. At this point, Hester gets returns because kickers are unwilling or unable to go away from him, or the Bears run special teams plays to get him in position to get the ball (particularly on kickoffs). By similar logic, Darrelle Revis will never be a Hall-of-Famer because he doesn't make enough interceptions.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Or Ted Ginn Jr., taken in the top 10 overall.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This post is only partly true. He wasn't very good those years, even when he was kicked to.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ginn was taken because they thought he could play receiver, they were wrong.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Revis comparison is ridiculous.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This isn't about Hester specifically. This is whether or not a kick returner is important enough to ever warrant a HOF spot.

Because if they do, he gets in. He's to kick returns what Babe Ruth was to home runs. So far off the old standards that it's hard to even compare. Talking about what other guys could do if they returned full-time is way underselling Hester's dominance.

7. Is it because Steve Tasker is white?

Racist!

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think we see what teams think of the importance of the position every week when they don't send out their best returners 95% of the time.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Talk of Hester always makes me wonder why Dante Hall fell off a cliff so quickly. He had a 2-3 year stretch where he looked like he'd be the best who ever lived at returning kickoffs and punts. Hell, he had a return touchdown in four straight games in 2003.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone think of a kickoff returner being injured?

I cannot think of any. The guys blocking? Yes, but not the returner.

If these guys are not getting hurt, why shouldn't the better players be returning punts and kicks? Hester is a serious advantage for the Bears, I would think other teams would want the same advantage.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I understand the argument for not including special teamers, but your rage about this makes me wonder if a punt returner stole your Halloween candy when you were a kid.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They don't get hurt so much as they get tired. They might not get injured, but they get banged and bruised.

Draft saved Draft deleted