1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester, a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 3, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, if there was a punter comparable to Guy, that would be relevant. Hester plays a different role, and he only got to play it so long because he wasn't good enough to be a starter at cornerback or receiver.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't even know what the first part means. Guy was that far ahead of every other punter who has played in the NFL? Anyway, you don't think Hester deserves to be in the Hall. Duly noted. I disagree.

3. outofplace

The first part means that Guy making it into the Hall of Fame would be a great argument for another punter. Kick returner is a very different role.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How so. Just because most kick returners do other things? Doesn't matter. They're pretty similar to me. Though a kick returner like Hester can impact the game more than any punter.

5. outofplace

I mean kick returner and punter are very different roles. That is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Guy getting in really shouldn't be much of a factor for Hester.

And yes, we definitely disagree. The guy failed in attempts at taking on larger roles at two positions in the NFL. That is the main reason he has been able to do this for so long. His longevity comes from failure at wide receiver and cornerback. That should count against him.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, they are the same in that they are specialized positions that have smaller impacts on the game, and yes it will be held against him. Which is why it will take a while if he does get in.

And there is a list here of all of his returns, a fair number of which did indeed play a significant role in the outcome.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/devin-hesters-ridiculous-career-hall-fame-worthy

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It takes 12 women to have 10 kids?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is an honest question, oop: Do you think a guy like Barry Sanders or Chris Johnson, given the chance to return kicks exclusively, would be better at it than Hester?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Bary Sanders definitely would be better, He may be a little slower in open field but he just made more people miss. He may not have as many TDs as Hester but he would be better.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know. Sanders had tremendous instincts, so probably. But Hester's instincts and vision on those particular plays are what make him so good at it. I assume Sanders' would translate, but not so sure. And Johnson is just fast. You have to be quick to be a good return man.

11. outofplace

In any circumstances, if you give me a choice of having Sanders or Hester carrying a football, I choose Sanders. I'm not as sure about Johnson.

But would they be better at returning kicks than Hester is at playing receiver? Without question.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This was the first time that Guy was a seniors nominee. He was a regular finalist in 2008, 2007, 2002, 1999, 1997, 1995 and the first time was 1992, which was his second year eligible to be nominated.

Draft saved Draft deleted