1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Harris 50 Foot Buzzer Beater

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhillipMG, Feb 24, 2009.

1. PhillipMG

PhillipMG Guest

This shot is amazing. Does anyone else believe he committed a self pass?

Here's the Vid link: <a href="http://www.bettorfan.com/blog/index.php/2009/02/24/devin-harris-not-only-beats-the-buzzer-but-slays-the-sixers/">Devin Harris 50ft Buzzer Beater</a>

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There is no rule called a self pass. If you are standing still, you can throw the ball up in the air and catch it. If you throw the ball up, you can take two steps and catch it. The rule you are referring to is traveling, which didn't occur in this situation because Iguodala knocked the ball loose.

And now newbie, fetch me my beer.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I saw that shot live, and there is no possible way that Harris completed that play in 1.8 seconds. He caught the inbounds, took a dribble, went up for the shot, had the ball slapped away, recovered it, took another step and shot. The Nets got some home cooking from the timekeeper on that one.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I thought the same thing, probably because I can't stand the Nets.

But after watching ESPN show it 45 times in a three-minute span this morning, in addition to NBA Fastbreak (or whatever they call that show now) admitting it looked long and timing it off the inbounds pass last night ... it was a legitimate 1.8 seconds.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yeah, ESPN pretty much broke it down frame by frame. Only thing I can think was off was when it started on the inbounds, but Harris' back was to the camera so it's not blatant when he touches the ball for the first time.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, that's where I suspect the mistake was. The clock probably didn't start on Harris' first touch. When Iguodala stripped him I thought "game over."

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

ESPN showed the clock started on time. They did a good job breaking down the play. I didn't think it was possible either, but they showed it was legit.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Amazing play. Hearing Brook Lopez break it down was hilarious too.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Took 2.00 seconds on my stopwatch... 10 times.

Clock started a quarter-second late.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I haven't seen ESPN's frame-by-frame, but I tried timing it too, and it never came in at 1.8 or under.

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, that guy's definitely got a future in broadcasting!

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

no. freakin'. way he got that show off in 1.8 secs or less.

no. effin' way.

tremendous play nonetheless.

but no. freakin'. way.

Draft saved Draft deleted