1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devils (on way to the playoffs) fire Julien; GM Lamoriello to coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Not the first time Lou's done this, but still surprising.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I hope they lose in the first round. Why would a GM fire his coach a week before the playoffs?

3. ondeadline

Because Lou is a demanding control freak.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it's worked for him before.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Lamoriello makes Jerry Jones look like Job.

6. ondeadline

Lou sucked behind the bench against the Canes last year.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lou is an absolute control freak... with 3 Stanley Cups

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, Julien had only led them to the division lead and the No. 2 spot in the conference.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now I could be very wrong on this, I thought Julien was a bit of a players coach? I know playing into Ftorek's firing was that he was absolutely hated by most in the locker room. Maybe Lou thought everyon was getting too comfortable and felt a shake up was in order. True they had won four of five, but I think they were playing their best hockey much earlier in the season. This could be just a wake up call to make sure there wasn't a lull in the playoffs.

Regardless I think it is a bush league move. What more did he want from Julien? The team was winning, was in second place in the conference with four games to go, and with a lineup that just doesn't score very much, and doesn't really have the talent to score much more because Lou has handicapped this team with an in ability to work logically with the cap - although he alway seems to find a way to just get in under the cap. If I'm a coach in the off-season and looking for a new job, I think long and hard about even looking Jersey's way.

10. ondeadline

I guess Lou says that it's his way or the highway, which is why Julien is now headed down the Jersey Turnpike.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I guess Lou wanted to take credit for guiding the team to a possible 4th Stanley Cup.

Lou is fucking head case when it comes to being a control freak. How much shakeup must he make every time the Devils are in first place and heading to the playoffs?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is Lou the Tony Soprano of the NHL?

Ftorek? Whacked.

Julien? Whacked

Draft saved Draft deleted