1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Developing sources on a beat.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Wow. That would be nice.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A vet at my ex-paper gave me a bit of advice--other than "Get out of the business"--about developing sources:

Get to know them as people. Have conversations with them, and they'll be more apt to give you good stuff.

It's a lesson that I'm still learning.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the impact the following things have on building sources:

1) The questions you ask
    2) What you write
    3) The manner in which you conduct yourself

Yes, having a good personality helps tremendously. But you'd be surprised how much respect being a thorough, knowledgable PROFESSIONAL will get you.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Totally agree with this post. I don't try to get to know my sources outside the building, that's too tricky for me being female. I ask thoughtful questions, listen to the answers, and report them accurately, and that does the trick really. I do treat them like people, but I don't ask nor want to see photos of their family and such. A long-time professional relationship is still a quality relationship. We don't need to get all squishy or drunk to appreciate each other.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Babs, to piggy back on what you are saying. . .

One of the difficult things I've had to learn during my relatively short time in the business is walking that line between a "personal" relationship and a professional one.

Sometimes, the better you know someone as a "person," the worse of a source they become. During one of my first stops in the business, I was especially tight with one source, to a point where when I had something, people automatically assumed I got it from him. Now, that wasn't always the case, but it didn't matter. I actually had one source tell me one time, "Hey, I'd tell you, but everyone would know it came from me." That was a big learning experience for me.

It's struggle for me, because I'm the kind of person who wants to be friends with everyone. I'm not fresh out of college by any means, but that's one area where I'm constantly picking the brains of more experienced reporters.

When is a relationship with a source too close?

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This thread has me thinking about when I first started covering baseball. Before I started the job, a veteran beat writer gave me a tip: Whenever you are in the clubhouse, be talking to someone. Just wander around and BS with people. (That's nice in theory, but not always so easy to pull off.) Anyway, I remember being just a couple of weeks into the job and sidling up to Jeff Kent in the clubhouse, plopping myself down in the chair next to his, swiveling around and chatting with him about God-knows-what.

I can only imagine what he thought of me.

I guess the point is not to try to force it. Just pick out something not necessarily related to the sport or team you are covering to have common ground with that person. I'm still not as natural at it as I'd like, because it's so hard to feel comfortable in a big league clubouse where there is a definite us-and-them mentality.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

When I took over a beat or a new coach came in, I always invited the coach and spouse out to dinner with me and my wife. It's a relaxed setting and you talk about kids, the town (usually, one of you is new to the area), whatever. When I was covering a college program, I'd take the coach of each program out to lunch every once in awhile, and the AD as well -- always off the record. I never once left one of those lunches without a story idea or something to follow up.

Oh, yeah, and my paper let me expense the dinner and lunches. Pretty sneaky way to weasel a free meal. ;)

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

You whacks will think this is retarded, but I actually send the coaches, players, anyone else a thank you email or also congratulate them if they have won a title, championship or broke history long after I have written a story. Somehow, they seem to really appreciate that and grow to respect you. Have a solid contact base with the beat I cover here. Just today, got an email from a coach asking me when I am coming to see the team and do their review for my big yearly soccer issue.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

along with the comments above about professionalism i'd suggest trying to dress like a grownup. too many sports writers show up to cover pro sporting events in clothes you shouldn't wear outside your house. even khakis and a decent looking polo shirt are fine. but like it or not, athletes judge you by your appearance. if you're a fat fuck wearing too-tight jeans and a tank top, well, you're not making a good impression. and building sources is all about making a good impression.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This is why I got out of beat reporting. It just seemed wrong: "Hey, will you be my friend so you'll talk to me when you're not supposed to talk to me and give me stuff I'm not supposed to have?"

Obviously not in so few words but that's basically what you're asking. Tough, tough spot and I flat didn't have the intestinal fortitude for it.

11. Babs

Babs Member

This is where genuine interest in the topic comes in.

To me, it's more like, "we're both really interested in what's going on here. Let's talk about it, keeping in mind we each have a job to do."

People like to talk about themselves and what they do. It shouldn't be an unnatural exercise.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

folks new on a beat want sources as soon as they get there. it doesn't work that way, people. sources are developed over time on any beat. do your job every day. be there. schmooze when you can. give the people you're covering a chance to read your stuff. the trust it takes to develop sources occurs over time.

it's where experience is the payoff. just the way it is. but i understand that patience is not a strong-suit for people in this day and age. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted