1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit's population falls 25 percent in 10 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 23, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. Others are forcing me to respond. I meant it as an example as how a place can be revitalized and changed in character in huge ways in a short time when private developers come in and see potential. I didn't mean to suggest that a small neighborhood is the same exact thing as the city of Cleveland.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Regardless of what street delineates what neighborhood, the fact remains that there were tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people looking for a way to live in or near Manhattan, and the DUMBO development succeeded because of that surplus demand. The area of a few square miles might have been abandoned for the time being, but the metropolitan area was growing huge and there was a constant and growing need for housing. There are nowhere near as many people -- on a proportional or any other basis -- looking to live in or near Detroit or Cleveland or any other Rust Belt town.

3. The Big Ragu

Why I said in my post (please go back and reread) that I didn't think it would be easily possible in Detroit.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

60 - 100 kids in class. Is that legal?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh is a better example of a 'Rust Belt' success story.

It had the advantage of a slightly more diverse economy, however. What saved it after the steel business collapse was a mix of tech and medicine - all of which were part of a very rich university environment.

Not sure that Detroit or Cleveland or the others named can manage the same trick.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If there's no real similarities between the two, though, then what real point does it have on this thread? Transforming a decaying city is a completely different project. It's great that DUMBO was transformed and all, but using an example of a whole city being overhauled would be better.

While Pittsburgh's population continues to decline, I think the job that's been done there to revitalize it is more relevant for discussion purposes on this thread.

Edit: Az beat me to that thought.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or

at

least

break

it

up

into

a

few

paragraphs.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've always figured it will take until the Baby Boomers are no longer receiving entitlements for the Rust Belt to recover. That's, what, 30-35 years from now? Plenty of water, governments will be so cash-strapped they'll bend over backwards on taxes and labor will be as cheap as it was, relatively, in the Sunbelt in the 1970s and 1980s.

9. The Big Ragu

Because I see the model working the same way. As I said in my first post. Of course there are some differences, given what surrounds the areas. But you could go into those cities and buy whole swatches of buildings, some with great industrial and loft potential -- for nothing. You can own whole neighborhoods for very little. If it's a small part of your portfolio, in which you don't need immediate return, with a bit of revitalization and incentives with cheap rents (for a safe, hip neighborhood), you can attract small businesses, and when you do that, residential will follow. I see the similarity being that. Again, as I thought I laid it out in that first post. The investment would be cheap beyond anything. You can buy whole neighborhoods for next to nothing. The potential return on investment if you can do some development and attract something is enormous. To be successful it would require someone with vision. Not quite creating Las Vegas out of nothing vision, though, because there is some serious infrastructure already there.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd say Dan Gilbert, but I don't think a guy who peddles sub-prime mortgages and chooses Comic Sans is what I'd call visionary.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ragu -- I understand that it would be much better if a private developer went into Cleveland, Detroit, Youngstown, et al, but they aren't coming, and that's why the government has stepped in. For the municipal government, the strategy is about, initially cost savings. No need to spend so much on maintaining infrastructure and providing police and fire protection if you can knock down the houses and get people more tightly situated. Anyway, a lot of these already do have some small, hip areas, but they are just that -- small. They can help turn around a neighborhood, but not an entire city. Plus, you need some assurance that real estate values will go up, and this economy, that's just not going to happen. Maybe some speculators will buy up some land and sit on it for a long while, but it's going to be a long, long while.

12. The Big Ragu

Bob, I get that. You can't force that kind of action.

Draft saved Draft deleted