1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit's population falls 25 percent in 10 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 23, 2011.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

Assessed value for homes in Brooklyn Heights in 1990 was more than the whole City of Detroit. Also, DUMBO is two subway stops from Wall Street, and close to Midtown East and Midtown West (three of ten biggest business districts in US).

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Detroit, Buffalo, Erie, Cleveland and Toledo, for example, also have an abundent supply of cheap, accessable water, and plenty of electrical capacity. As the Sun Belt continues to grow, and as water, of the lack thereof, becomes a problem, these are assets the Rust Belt must leverage.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is anyone expected to read that? How 'bout some talking points or something, huh?

:)

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Only Feds have the money to finance that kind of public works.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

derwood. Yup. And if you had seen the neighborhood 20 years ago, it was abandoned. Anyone with some money could have walked in, bought the whole neighborhood abandoned building by abandoned building. Few had the guts and the vision. I didn't mean it as an exact parallel, which is why I said it is not quite the same thing as what I suggested for a place like Cleveland. Someone with some vision capitalized on the assets the place had. You are right. And as I said, 20 years ago, the neighborhood was close to abandoned. Some artists without the money to live anywhere else lived there. DUMBO was NOT Brooklyn Heights. It still isn't.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Richie-Rich Snyder is putting the heat on municipal governments to cut to the bone and way way beyond. Bascially, he's washing his hands of the whole mess.

The recent discussion of 60+ students per class in Detroit public schools is all part of the process. Next year, it'll be 100+ students per class. The logical conclusion is that anyone with kids in Detroit should get the hell out unless they can already afford to send the kids to private schools.

Where should they go? Snyder doesn't give a shit as long as it's out of his hair. Other regions of the state aren't in much better shape, so the only conclusion is get the hell out of the state and go south where there might be jobs. Snyder is just fine with that -- he can slash the social services budgets accordingly and some other states will have to worry about these unwashed hordes.

In the 2020 census, Detroit will have 500,000 residents. At most.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This development also benefited from the enormous surplus of people who were priced out of the Manhattan market. And from the fact that Wall Street payrolls never really go into recession as long as there are commissions to be made, and certainly never go into recession (and in fact do spectacularly well) when government is there to bail them out. It has no relevance whatsoever to the conditions facing a dying Midwestern city that was built on a manufacturing-based economy.

8. The Big Ragu

The first people who moved in there and revitalized the neighborhood were NOT Wall Street companies or investment bankers. They were video production companies and hip studios, and low end art galleries. And the people who moved there were people looking for relatively cheap rents relative to Manhattan, which had gotten expensive beyond believe. It is NOT a dying Midwestern city, as I thought I pointed out. It is a tale of how to revitalize a place, though, because that neighborhood was all but abandoned 20 to 25 years ago -- except for the rats -- and now it is thriving and a much different place. That was the point. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

EDIT: And the point of the post, which I forgot by getting sidetracked, was that a city government trying to spearhead that, which was Bob's example, isn't a great model. It takes private development. They have the profit incentive, and the resources, to see it through. Government can help out with things like tax breaks to induce business. But really it takes someone with money and vision.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

I lived in Brooklyn Heights for a long time, that neighborhood was never abandoned like Detroit. Property owners were still real estate taxes, area transitioned from light industrial to residential much like TriBeCa and SoHo. Detroit is a wasteland.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's give credit where credit is due. The first people into DUMBO were squatters.

11. The Big Ragu

Jeez. I didn't say anything about BROOKLYN HEIGHTS. BROOKLYN HEIGHTS is NOT DUMBO. Get it?

DUMBO is across Old Fulton Street. Its character could not be more different, even if it is adjacent. Just as Fort Greene was completely different than Brooklyn Heights, even though it is near by. As Cobble Hill is different, even if it is a bit more affluent than Fort Greene.

I am talking about DUMBO, not BROOKLYN HEIGHTS. The Heights has been a residential neighborhood for as long as the U.S. has existed. The whole neighborhood is protected by the landmark commission. The homes are all in their original 1820s - 1880s shape. There is no housing like that in DUMBO. BROOKLYN HEIGHTS is unique. It is NOTHING LIKE DUMBO. The Heights had a down period in the 70s and into the 80s (I know someone who bought a home on State Street in the 70s for a $200K and today it is worth more than $5 million), but it was never down and out. And it wasn't industrial, as DUMBO was. It was always residential and during the time period I am talking about, affluent beyond belief.

The HEIGHTS is not DUMBO. I have no idea when you lived there, but whenever it was, it wasn't DUMBO. And if you lived in the Heights in the 80s, you know that DUMBO -- if you ever tread into the neighborhood -- was dark and dingy and small streets in which every other building was abandoned and in decay.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

My point is it is relatively easy to transition an area from light industrial to upper income residential in New York City, in Detroit it is impossible.

Draft saved Draft deleted