1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Tigers beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Dec 20, 2019.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Detroit Free Press, part of Gannett Co., Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a champion baseball writer to cover the Detroit Tigers in America’s comeback city.

The Free Press boasts a robust baseball audience that craves thoughtful, authoritative analysis. The ideal candidate will write with voice and impact to examine the Tigers and their rebuild from 30,000 feet and deliver definitive storytelling and enterprise to a national stage.

The writer must have the reporting chops and stamina to be the expert on the Tigers and is someone who can contextualize major trends in Major League Baseball quickly and effectively for the Free Press and USA TODAY Sports Network, which includes more than 250 properties nationwide. The candidate also must be acclimated to the grind of a 162-game schedule. MLB beat experience is preferred; a track record for breaking news and developing strong sources are required. There is no ambition too big for this role.

The writer will play a vital role within a dynamic sports news-gathering operation in America’s greatest sports town. We are looking for someone who is digitally savvy, raring to make our coverage better and wants to be part of a winning team.

Qualifications:
    • Bachelor's in Communication, Journalism, or equivalent experience and education.
    • At least 3 years MLB reporting experience.
    • Proficiency building a brand on social media.
    • Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
    • Able to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
    • Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
    • Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
    • Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
    • Self-motivation and self-direction.
    • Applies innovative, creative thinking to support Free Press goals.
    • Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
    • Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
    • Valid driver's license required.
    This is a salaried position with competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(K) Saving Plan, Paid Time Off (PTO), Vacation, Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more! Gannett Co., Inc. is committed to strengthening communities across the nation. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, the company touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 250 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.

In addition to applying online please send a resume, cover letter explaining a vision for this job and writing samples to sports editor Chris Thomas: cdthomas@freepress.com.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Replacing Fenech?

That guy deserved hazard pay plus PTSD for not only getting attacked from players and media for several stories, but having to sit through 114 losses for what was the franchise's second-worst team in its 120-year history.

Zads07 and Liut like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The word “chops” used in any context other than pork/lamb chops gives me a finger-nails-meet-chalkboard feeling.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Tweener, maumann, playthrough and 4 others like this.
  4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Just wondering what a trash place like Gannett pays for a MLB beat writer? Even 50K you think for this person who likely is coming from at best a college beat probably

Writer likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does the Free-Press only have one beat writer covering the Tigers?

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

The ad says at least 3 years of MLB experience required.

So if you really believe that -- and I'm not sure I do -- one would think that they have budgeted accordingly for the position.

RonClements likes this.
  7. Writer

Writer Member

So $45,000...

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Having worked for a small and large Gannett shop, my guess is that you may be able to get $50K for this one. But I think you’re right that they’ll start with a $45K offer.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think only one full-timer. I think they pull in part-timers to do sidebars, run quotes, etc.

RonClements likes this.
  10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

My recent experience in Gannett (within the past year) suggests these estimates are really low. I would expect mid-50s or higher, assuming the hire presents those expectations from the beginning.

11. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Sent follow-up e-mail to Mr. Thomas but have yet to hear back. No MLB experience, but I do have four years of MiLB experience. Tough market.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I too applied and have not heard back. Has anyone else applied? Please share and tell us about your journey.

Draft saved Draft deleted