1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Red Wings director of media relations.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Top team in the league?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The travel is nuts. You fly across three time zones regularly, probably four or five times a season. Road trips full of insomnia.

Oh, yeah, add the Twin Cities to the cities of frigid nature you'll visit in December, January and February

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I had a friend who was the director of ticket operations, and even he had a makeshift cot and video game console in his tiny office for all the nights he slept over, and all the down time during the many stretches where he "was expected" to be at the office even when there was nothing to do. And trust me, his pay was no where near consummate, which surprised me considering how "easy" the job was at the time to sell Red Wings tickets. Sure, he got a lot of job-related perks like tickets for friends, access to parties, memorabilia, etc., but none of that stuff can pay the rent. He quit after a few years.

4. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Call me nuts -- but to me, the travel isn't a bad thing.

5. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

You're hired.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The travel would only be worse for a baseball team.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Isn't this a second posting? I seem to remember getting this in my e-mail box a few weeks after Brinich left the organization.

8. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Great, when do I start?!? ;D

9. bkrichmond

bkrichmond New Member

Where is hockeyman when you need him.....someone should tell these people the value of working something like the Stanley Cup finals every third year and the NHL playoffs every year. That probably looks pretty decent on a resume....

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

1-2 years of experience? TWO WHOLE YEARS? Aren't they setting the bar a little high?

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

why would it help the PR guy's resume if the team won the stanley cup?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing wrong with MSP in winter; it could be worse. You could have to go to Winnipeg...

Draft saved Draft deleted