1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Police release video of gun fight in police station

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This happened earlier this week and was released yesterday. Pretty chilling to watch a gun man walk into a police station and start shooting police officers with a shotgun. Four cops were shot and the gunman was killed.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110129/NEWS01/101290414/Detroit-police-release-video-ambush-station?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's a higher-quality video:

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Our paper used to have two zoned pages a week devoted to that neighborhood in Detroit - I was the editor for a couple years. We did quite a bit on the 6th Precinct's community council - a group of people who still gave a hoot about a crappy neighborhood.

When they said it was the 6th, that really caught my attention. I'm just glad that none of the officers were killed.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a point where you think the modern world has you so jaded that no video can really shock you, but I just can't think of anything to say to that except "Holy shit." The officers are trying to regroup and they've got cover and are exchanging fire, and all of a sudden the guy just leaps over the desk. Fantastic that no officers were killed.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The two officers that were behind counter behind the main desk - one was shot in the head, a bullet grazed him. You can see him holding his head (it looks like he is covering his ears because of the noise).

The other cop, wearing a sweater vest or something grabbed the injured guys gun and ended up getting shot in the hand by a shotgun. He too fell behind the desk and then had to throw a garbage can at the gunman who was already fatally wounded. There were two other officers out of the frame that had engaged the gunman.

Draft saved Draft deleted