1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit, please step to the plate...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 21, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003975727

This is a link to a small E&P story: About 100-150 positions will be whacked at the Detroit papers. So much for that viable new business model, eh?

Story does not specify where jobs will be lost, nor does it say anything about sports. Just fair warning.

Discuss.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Step to the plate? It's like we're down to an 0-2 count and swinging with a No. 2 pencil before we even dig in. But budget cutbacks will take the pencil from our hands and leave us with a nub with just an eraser on the end.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some mofo still will wrest that from your hand and stick what's left into your eye.

4. Rumpleforeskin

So we're down to one eye and an 0-2 count. What's the use?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We can be kings in the land of the blind, at least.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Better to be a king than a peasant.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That sounds too much like exchanging a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage. And yes, I'm quoting Pink Floyd.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Remember when Detroit touted that new E-edition plan saying no cuts would be necessary.

I also wonder if Detroit had done furloughs, if it would have made a difference. I believe they were exempt from at least the first round.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This makes it worse.... they retained more customers than they had imagined (probably by not telling people they charged them for the e-edition), and they still have to make more cuts.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20090521/FREE/905219985

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Looks like sports is losing at least 2; this sucks. (from a Gannett Blog via anonymous poster)

Folks,
    Because of the continued, severe economic decline, we are taking several steps to reduce newsroom expenses, including more significant cuts in non-payroll expenses.
    As part of the process, we are also forced to reduce staff in many newsroom job classifications.
    Reductions will involve about 10% of both bargaining unit and non-bargaining unit staff. Here are bargaining unit job classifications that will have reductions, and the number of positions we plan to reduce in each:

Editorial Writers - 1
    Part-time Reporters - 4
    Artists - 2
    Picture Editors - 1
    Librarian - 1
    News Archivist - 1
    Designers - 1
    Sports Agate Editors - 2
    Editorial Research Assistants - 1
    Part-time Editorial Research Assistant - 1
    Copy Editors - 1
    Part-Time Copy Editors - 2
    Part-Time Web Editors - 2

Bargaining unit members in the affected classifications above will have 30 days to volunteer for severance, effective today. That period ends with the close of business on Friday, June 19. We expect to notify all staff members who are affected by the reductions by Monday, June 22, with departures effective Tuesday, June 23. We reserve the right to decline offers if we receive too many volunteers in a particular classification.
    Because severance terms for bargaining unit positions vary based on each employee's start date, please refer to the contract, Article XIV, for specifics. Severance will be paid as a salary continuation.
    We will be respectful of the staff members who will be departing and of the process over the next 30 days. This is a difficult time, and we all recognize that.
    Staff meetings for all Free Pressers will be held in the Academy at 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. today to answer any questions you have.
    -- Paul Anger

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No good news on that list, Mustang. This sucks royally and I hope for the best for all the people that are behind each job title.

To think of what the Free Press was even 15-20 years ago (before the strike) and to see and read about it now, it's really sad.

Best of luck also to all who will be left behind, doing double the work, to keep the Freep alive.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Blah, blah, blah,blah, blah. Why not just close up shop and go home now?

A certain former colleague and I often debate, which is worse: to be the one let go or the one left behind, doing twice the work for half the pay? I'm honestly not sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted