1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit papers DOUBLE their daily newsstand price

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Sep 17, 2009.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

This is just not true.

I can appreciate a good "woe is us" session, but come on. Everybody has not stopped buying the newspaper. My paper sells something like 35,000 of them every day. The business is still viable and in most cases profitable, and in most of those cases more profitable (margin-wise) than Wal-Mart.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah it is true. I canceled my subscription, my parents canceled theirs. My great aunt cancelled her subscription. My uncle and his family cancelled theirs and got the Oakland Press. The only person in the family who still gets the paper is my 80-year-old grandma who rarely drives and doesn't have the internet.

That's just one family. I can't tell you how many friends and acquaintances who have also told me they have either scaled back to just Sunday, or just read it online now. People still buy the newspaper, but the DMP shot themselves in the foot.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's sort of like a McDonald's quarterpounder. It couldn't be a nickel forever. I think everybody gets that. We understand inflation over time.

But if McDonald's suddenly doubled the price of that burger, and made it an eighth-pounder? Who's buying? Especially when other burger joints are giving it away for free down the street.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, that depends, does the person making the fries try just as hard as the person on drive through?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

An eighth pounder with half a bun and no ketchup.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But isn't a paper worth twice as much WITHOUT Drew Sharp in it?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if there's no Dwarf in the same edition

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I might get a shoe thrown at me, but I actually enjoy reading Sharp's columns.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The board's ultimate Michigan fan enjoys reading southeast Michigan's leading U-M basher... I didn't see that coming...

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He actually, you know, does research and doesn't lead witch hunts.

11. lapdog

lapdog Member

The Oakland Press, remember, is a JRC rag, and therefore sucks massive moose dick. They've cancelled all their college beats and pro travel so they can double up on Brother Rice, Country Day and Hooterville High School coverage. They're also big now into "citizen journalism," i.e., "Bob the Blogger Writes For Your Paper," and feature half-page ads on Page 1A.

If the Freep isn't worth $1.00, the Jokeland Press ain't worth 10 cents.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you like high school sports it is.

Do you really expect the Oakland Press to try to compete with the Freep's pro and college coverage? Of course not.

So they have to find the niche where the Freep isn't kicking ass. And since they've been scaling back on preps coverage, that's your answer.

And by the way, Brother Rice sucks. It's all about CC in these parts. The Shamrocks should qualify for the playoffs by next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted