1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit newspapers losing "daily" tag?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mitch cumstein, Dec 11, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, PM... I don't have your back then....

2. hankschu

hankschu Member

Sorry if this is db, but the Wall Street Journal just posted this:

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article_email/SB122911296051802459-lMyQjAxMDI4MjE5MjExMTIyWj.html

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, who's not to believe a story based on a single unnamed source "familiar with the company's thinking."!!!! ::)

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know we debate unnamed source use on here a lot, but as I always say: It depends on who the single unnamed source is.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mitch. Get the hell out of the street already.

6. This little item was one of the top stories on the NBC Nightly News tonight.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I love the fact that this says to the subscribers, "You're unimportant to us, except on the days where we can make the most money... You're 70 and have subscribed for 50 years but don't own a computer? You don't fit our demographic, so we don't care."

Wonder if an advertiser boycott would help?

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So it was. Video here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28200723#28200723

And if I were a subscriber there, greeted by such a hearty "f^$& you," I would be compelled to respond in kind.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It won't just be the subscribers. Seven-day-a-week advertisers will be banging on the door for rebates, too.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Probably not. The beancounters will just keep cutting jobs in a vain attempt to maintain their bottom line. And by the time there is nothing more to cut, said beancounters will be all taken care off financially while the workers get screwed over.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends. I think if they don't know it's a specific boycott, you'd be right. If it's a loud and messy boycott, I think it makes a difference.
    And as said here before, if the Big Three can't spend ad dollars, it's over anyway.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It ain't just over in Detroit, Slappy. Auto dealers are about the last high-volume advertisers most newspapers have left.

Draft saved Draft deleted