1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit newspapers losing "daily" tag?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mitch cumstein, Dec 11, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A bittersweet kudos for getting it right,PM... tho many of us here wish you were very wrong... I got your back...

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Kudos to Jack Lessenberry and the Metro Times on the scoop, as noted on GannettBlog on Dec. 4.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two days before a certain poster, right?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

jack Lessenberry can kiss my ass... He was hired at my last Michigan stop as a part-time VP-editorial and spend his whole time at the company editorial honors lunch ripping the staff for being lazy and worthless. Afterword, the paper's GM (an non-editorial guy 15 years older than Lessenbery) had him backed up against the wall of a parking garage, forearm across Lessenberry's chest, telling him if he ever did it again he would kick his ass up and down Woodward Avenue.
    Wart on the ass of society...

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Right. Metro Times page took a while to load, but it finally showed up: http://metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=13494
    Actually, after checking that blog, I should redirect those laurels to retired Freep reporter Joel Thurtell:
    Future of one newspaper?
    Edit: hopefully you don't have a similar story about him, slap ...

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

May be reading a bit into this, but does the Freep's use of the term "exact version of our print product" and the News' non-use of it mean something -- namely that the Freep might be printing daily but the News won't?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope.. Know of them by their work, but that's it... Lessenberry, OTOH, is one of those guys who could tell everyone at a dily what to do, but could never work at one for very long...

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Always enjoy Slappy's recounting of Lessenberry's smackdown.

He's one of those ivory-tower punks who's working at a rather inane state school (Wayne, IIRC) just trying to get his name out there to satisfy his ego.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And still writes for pubs like the Metro Times so he can feed his oversized ego...

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Ditto on Lessenberry foof. And if only Thurtell had worked that hard for scoops when he was at the freep. It sure is funny to dance on graves when you're not involved.

11. pmcnamara

pmcnamara New Member

I didn't see those posts, but they did get it write and first.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Remember the days when we used to pose questions like, "What headline did you run?" or "Should you ever edit a quote?"

How I long for the good, ole days.

Draft saved Draft deleted