1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit newspapers losing "daily" tag?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mitch cumstein, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, I have a feeling you're right, but nowhere in that link does it say they aren't going to publish on other days of the week that aren't included in their deal.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tragic. But damn funny.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

BTW, I called up Newsweek today and cancelled my subscription -- finally, after about 20 years of unbroken customership, I had my fill of that mag's agenda-driven coverage (this week's cover story did it). Anyhoo, the lady on the phone could not have been nicer about assuring me that I would be receiving a check for my refund. She didn't try to talk me out of cancelling, didn't beg or promise some "special deal" or anything.

And I've got to tell you how freaking empowering it felt to cut one of my several news-publication umbilical cords. If I get along fine without Newsweek in my mailbox once a week, I might dump a monthly mag or two. Up next after that: One or two of the three dailies I subscribe to. Bet I don't hardly miss them.

To hell with it. If publishers are going to cut space, travel, newshole and journalists, goddamnit, I'm cutting right back! Stick that in their quarterly reports and suck on it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I let my DMN subscription expire in August and I haven't missed a thing.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's the way I read it -- they'll print, but not deliver. Single-copy sales only on the other days. Going from seven-days-a-week delivery at $8.69/month to Thur/Sun for $5.00/month? The cancellation rate will, and should, be staggering.

(And $8.69/month? Holy hell, that's about half of what I pay for the local daily, even with the full-year discount.)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It still floors me... We're not going to deliver it to your door, but if you want to run out on a rainy, snowy day to buy it on the rack, go ahead. Don't have internet to read at home, or a computer to handle the new whizbangs on the site and your browser keeps crashing? Tough.
    F-tards...

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe she didn't try to talk you out of it because Newsweek is actively trying to cut its circulation.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB122896472309497261.html?mod=rss_media_and_marketing

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

People don't want to drive out and get the paper so they can go back home and read it before going to work.
    He's an idea for someone who was recently laid off, go out at 1 am... buy up all the newspapers and then deliver them for a small fee.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I would say there's definitely truth in this rumor somewhere. The company has been up front about working with IDEO in the past few months. The one thing about that ad that was posted for circ is it would at least get some money from people who now just read the Internet for free or at least that's how it looks. Nothing we can do but sit and wait and wonder...

10. pmcnamara

pmcnamara New Member

the aren't hiding those addresses that deeply..

http://edetroitnews.com/

http://digitalfreepress.com/

by the way... thanks to all the haters who ragged on me when I first posted this story in the exact correct detail on 12/06/2008.

http://www.lansingsportsrage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1444:news-a-freep-to-stop-printing-&catid=33:lsr-blogs&Itemid=83

I know, it sounds like sour grapes, its not.. just one of those things that bugs me when I know I have it right.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You do know that many papers have an e-edition, right?

12. pmcnamara

pmcnamara New Member

Yes, do any of the others have the e-edition only, because they stopped printing ?

Draft saved Draft deleted