1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit newspaper employees agree to wage cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know. I just wish I was given this option. I wish my paper did furloughs before I was cut loose, but furloughs became the popular trend the year after I was bought out/laid off.

I'm ecstatic to be out of the business. I say that now, because for the first time since then, I have a job I like.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The Free Press has been in a wage freeze for two years and agreed to the pay cuts AND another two-year freeze. Also, there were furloughs this year. But there were minor battles won, such as keeping the health care workers had, albeit with a deductible added on. Plus, the ability to carry over two sick days, instead of no carry-over. Also, internal freelance fees will be paid again if someone does writing outside of their own work hours. These have been eliminated for several years. It's not much but at least no layoffs on the horizon. For now.

Draft saved Draft deleted