1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit News buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TwoGloves, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Are editors starting to get canned now? It seems they got rid of all the reporters they could. I was wondering if the 9 to 5ers were starting to sweat? Hell if they don't need copy editors why do they need editors?

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if McCabe took the buyout. Either way that is a BIG, BIG loss for the Freep.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Regarding comment above: Editors have been getting canned for quite a while. It's all about "content providers."

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Mike Brudenell was laid off. He appeared to be a general assignment guy for the Free Press' sports department.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Update on McCabe: Much as I suspected, it was his choice. It still stinks, though. He's got a nice note on his Facebook page and close to 100 comments already.

7. TwoGloves

I'm told he did take a buyout.

8. TwoGloves

I'm told he took a buyout as well.

9. Fran Curci

Sports editor will be replaced by a new hire, according to something I read. But will they simply promote an assistant, assuming there is one, and (maybe) hire a copy editor?

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Do most newspapers just have one editor in sports now?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I know in the latest round of Gannett slashing, there were several executive editors who were laid off, with them moving toward having one EE oversee three or four papers in a region.

Seems that would have less of an impact on newsrooms that slashing 3 or 4 "content providers"

12. Fran Curci

I think mid-size papers that used to have a sports editor and an assistant and another assistant in charge of high school sports now typically have two of those people rather than all three. Smaller papers that had two managers/assignment editors in sports now have one, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted