1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Let's pretend I had a feature I wanted to pitch featuring a Detroit native. To whom would this feature be best pitched? Free Press? News? Is there a big alt-weekly magazine that might eat it up, or a regular local magazine?

Could be as short as 1,000 words or much longer. Comes with photos.

Thanks for the help, team.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Kind of depends on the story and the native.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's outdoor-sy. Near death adventure.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That reads (on a VERY base level) like it could cross into being accepted by a mainstream publication. I haven't lived near Detroit for 27 years, but I think that info should help others on here be able to help you more clearly.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think it would have a place in a mainstream publication. I don't mean to be so clandestine or vague.

Really, I just have no idea of the freelance landscape in the area. I stumbled across a story that I think would have a place there and just don't even know what publications exist that would be interested in a longer outdoors related feature story. I've seen Alt-weeklies it would work well in in other cities, and it would make a pretty sweet magazine piece for a local magazine, too. And, of course, I think it'd be good in a newspaper.

I just don't know if such a weekly or a magazine even exists there.

Thanks for the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted