1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Free Press ---- more newsroom layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If my Facebook feed is any indication of what is going on in Detroit, there have been more cuts and there are possibly more on the way.

I've heard about at least one position elimination in the news department. This is in addition to the few layoffs they had a couple weeks ago. (non newsroom)

Does any one else have any more information? This is all I can find on the web... http://joelontheroad.com/?p=2845

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Seven to go in newsroom by Nov. 18. They're taking volunteers and some more horsetrading (as in furloughs) might take it down to three. Various classifications (copy editors, photogs, reporters, artists, designers, etc). Not good.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The furloughs suck but its better than losing the job, IMO. At least you can get unemployment and carry over extra vacation days to 2010.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Agreed on furloughs. It's a nick as opposed to a flesh wound.

But again, what will be left?

5. Magic In The Night

No carryover of vacation days of any kind allowed here. And if guild accepts furloughs, they'd be taken in 2010.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And let me guess, it's almost impossible for you to be able to use those vacation days.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The CEOs who take home millions are giving the working stiffs a choice: More furloughs all around vs. a few people who lose 100 percent of their income forever.

I find it hard to believe that, in another thread, someone is arguing that journalists can't expect any money for all the extra work dumped on them these days because "we all have to do our parts to save the profession."

Tell it to the suits and the shareholders.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Joe,

If we don't do the extra work then we have no right to complain.

If we do go the extra mile and the companies still fail at least we know we did our best. .

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, let's not forget that blogging and tweeting and friending and whatever has yet to show any profit for anyone. Even Twitter doesn't turn profits on its business activity for its founders.

If a boss could tell me, "Do this extra work. We won't pay you for it, but at least it will bring in money that will keep your paycheck coming for your previous workload," at least that would make sense.

But too often this comes across like you're a slave or else you're laid off: "Do this extra work. And this extra work and this extra work and this extra work. No, we won't pay you for it. No, we don't know if it's going to make any of us any money. But we can tell you to do it because, y'know, we can."

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

11. Magic In The Night

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Wow - Crain's is really slow on the draw.

Draft saved Draft deleted