1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Free Press gets the wrong guy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MNgremlin, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When we reach the point where "stupid people won't notice" is a valid excuse for a factual error, we've failed as both a profession and a society.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There was a paper that was running NCAA Tournament info boxes with mugshots of the coach. That same day, there was a criminal with the last name Richardson who had his mug running in the police blotter. When the blotter came out, there was a picture of Nolan Richardson.

They caught the mistake and chased it, but a few papers got out and the story was relayed to Richardson at the NCAAs, who reacted the way you would have expected him to.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Our paper had Willie "Mayes" in a photo caption on the book review page, even though it was correct in the subhed and article.

And even if the paginator/copy editor does not know sports, some names should be iconic enough that they are recognized by anyone in journalism.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've worked with
    Probably watched "Major League" a few too many times.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The storytelling coach?

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I once wrote a column predicting Kenny Perry would win the local PGA Tour event (which he did) but the copy editor ran several photos of Chris Perry because he was mentioned in the story as having contended a couple years earlier. Made it into an A1 teez too.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is the Detroit Free Press one of the Gannett papers laid out in Louisville?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure. Some of the designers that are forced on me via our RDC seem damn proud of their sports ignorance, and it shows when preparing an agate page.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Somewhat on/off topic: In SI a few weeks ago, they called the 76ers the 86ers. Did I miss a joke or did some mess up badly?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You missed the joke, I believe.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Draft saved Draft deleted