1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Daily Press hiatus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Peg McNichol, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

from Facebook, confirmed in my conversations wtih Mark and Gary Stern:
    "Due to circimstances beyond our control, lack of advertising, lateness of our press runs and lack of distribution and sales, we find it necessary to temporarily suspend publication of the Detroit Daily Press until after the 1st of the year. Once we can fix these things, we plan to be back stronger and more organized when we return. This is just a bump in the road and not the end of the Detroit Daily Press.34 minutes ago."

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is this a surprise?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In a general sense, no. Anybody trying a newspaper start up right now is going to run into bumps, no matter how well organized or intentioned.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

A bit quicker than expected, no?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They didn't do a very good job of getting the word out about the new paper. The only real word I saw on it was the day they held their presser to announce the venture. Since then, nothing.

And they also had lots of problems getting the actual product out to people. I tried to get it 3-4 times in one of their target communities and couldn't find it.

The place that could really use a daily newspaper is Ann Arbor. There's a real void there since the closing of the News.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's hoping the paper comes back, but stopping publication so quickly is a very, very bad sign. Wonder if the employees have been paid yet?

Hank - Amen to Ann Arbor needing a daily. The News was making money, but it wasn't enough for the greedy ownership.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How can they fix things that are supposedly out of their control?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't normally agree with Hank, but he's right on the money about Ann Arbor. It's crying for a paper again.
    I too hope the revamped Press comes back kicking ass.

9. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

Thanks for all the nice words... as for getting paid, I'm in the Detroit Daily Press newsroom. Checks are due in today and we are getting paid.

I quit a job to come here. Every day we improved our process here. I hope we come back kickin' ass too :)

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm glad you're getting paid. That's good to hear. Just sit tight, I think things are going to fall in your favor.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Peg - That's good to hear that you're getting paid. Good luck with the relaunch - I'd love to see you guys give the DNA a run for its money. As was said above, your bosses need to do a better job of publicity.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Organization and intention are a lot less important than starting capital, which they don't have.

Draft saved Draft deleted