1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit: A Dying City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So Detroit is fucked, right?

Detroit: A Dying City

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But Michigan State's appearance in the Final Four saved it??

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Would it be a terrible idea to buy some property in Detroit? I mean, I looked at some shit online and I can actually afford it. I think, anyway. Detroit won’t actually be let die will it? It has to get better

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does it have to get better?

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

It doesn't have to. It just might. Or it could just be Detroit's time to go by-bye. Things might get better though. I guess what I’m asking is if that's worth betting on.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yes it is a terrible idea.

The copper thieves alone will steal your piping, your water heater and even your front door. You think I'm kidding. I'm not kidding. Put up a fence to keep the thieves out and they'll steal the fence too. Plus it is not safe and no one wants to live there because there is nowhere to buy groceries.

A few weeks ago, a camera crew was filming a movie. They were robbed at gun point ON THE MAYOR'S LAWN. A week later, another camera crew is filming a commercial for the Detroit Public Schools. Bill Cosby was on hand for the commercial when he was almost hit by a car. Someone had stolen a car and lost control and drove it into a tree. Just another day in Detroit.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"And yet ... " /Mitch Albom

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

But... They sell Faygo!

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, there's probably some property in Flint you could afford, too. Doesn't mean you should buy it.

Seriously, as one of many on this board with family and friends who live in SE Michigan, nothing would please me more than to have Detroit -- and the region in general -- see a wave of re-investment.

It will take a tremendous leap of faith and decades of patience to see an investment in any Detroit property get some return on it. The auto industry may recover somewhat as we slowly pull out of this recession, but "The Big 3" will never be like they were before. And they're what built that region.

I hope Bing and the rest of the area's leaders can take some baby steps to get things moving forward.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I just read the TIME magazine article about Detroit. Very interesting. They're going to be doing a year-long project focusing on the city.

http://detroit.blogs.time.com/

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Where's this guy when you need him?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Tigers were thrilled by the SI cover last week.

Draft saved Draft deleted