1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Determining whether an Olympic athlete is from your coverage area

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What provides the reader with more information and context, "former Olympian" or 2012 Olympian?" It's not a sentimental thing for me, it's concise delivery of information.

What better tells the story? Former Olympian Michael Phelps or 18-time Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps. 2008 Olympian Joe Blow dies is a different story than 1956 Olympian Joe Blow dies.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Four-time Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps. Or [INSERT NUMBER HERE, 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW IT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD]-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps.

[EDIT] Oops -- I didn't check the next page before replying. Jake said it better than I did.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Beyond how Olympians are referred to in print, I've had people correct me and other people -- in conversations -- when referring to Olympians as "former." That's obnoxious and it happens more than you'd expect.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Team sports such as women's soccer or hockey essentially have full time training national teams these days. Say you had a two-time Olympian in hockey and you called her a "former" Olympian, that might cause confusion with your readers that she's retired when she hasn't.

If I ever use any qualifier in front of Olympian, I use the year or the number of times they made it. Former is not a good adjective there. It's not descriptive enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted