1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Det News blogger drinks from Stanley Cup and brags

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 5, 2008.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yeah, but no worries, it was disinfected by the chlorine the day it was at the bottom of Mario Lemieux's pool.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Fantastic way to put it.

This Detroit guy is bush league and an embarrassment to those who would never do that, especially while working.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

Not all players. The Sens picked it up last year (and lost, of course) while New Jersey's Scott Stevens picked up the Wales Trophy three times and won every time. The year he didn't pick it up they lost to Colorado

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I agree with Smash, I don't see the harm in touching the Cup, but I wouldn't ever lift it or drink from it. And even touching, I'd certainly never get fanboyish while working to do so.

I do agree with Buck too that it has been to many parties where there certainly isn't that level of respect or reverence.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Having been in the Red Wings locker room immediately after the 1997 Cup win, I can tell you that several media people, including me, took sips out of the Cup because we were told by a certain player that is still on the team that we could either do that or wear the contents.

(I've spent 11 years trying not to think about the contents.)

That said, I didn't write about it or get my picture taken or brag about it. I just have a policy of trying to avoid getting drenched in cheap champagne. Only time I failed was at, of all places, a WNBA championship.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yzerman picked it up and skated right off the ice with it one other year that the Wings won. There was an Eastern Conference team, I'm thinking Buffalo but not sure, that also did it.

So yea, there have been some players that have touched it, but no one has ever put the conference trophies over their head and skated around the ice.

7. KP

KP Active Member

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

True story, and I was thinking about it pretty much the whole time I was reading this thread. Nice job. :)

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Dents can be taken care of, you know.

10. Rambler

Rambler Member

This is wild. When I read this thread I agreed with everyone who thought it was unprofessional of the photog to drink from the Stanley Cup.
    At the risk of outing myself, I'm a reporter who was just given the opportunity to drink from the Calder Cup, awarded to the Chicago Wolves after winning the American Hockey League.
    I politely declined. Thanks for the advance guidance from my fellow Fourth Estaters. Though I know I wouldn't have done it anyway, it's good to know I'm of the right mind.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the unprofessional part was doing it and writing/bragging about it. Lookit meeee, lookit meee....

Draft saved Draft deleted