1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Det News blogger drinks from Stanley Cup and brags

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Never laid eyes on Lord Stanley's trophy ... but I did once defecate in the Davis Cup. Assuming there is such a thing.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Another problem is, those reporters and t.v. personalities made themselves part of the story. Something they should never do.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How much do the players respect this tradition when they get the Cup for a day and it ends up in a strip joint or someone's pool? This strikes me as empty Cup dogma.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Had the chance a couple times to touch the Cup.

Former hockey player that I am, there was just no way. Absolutely no way.

5. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

I've held two trophies and drank from one. Drank from the Calder Cup in 1992 (took it from the hands of Max Middendorf sometime around 4 a.m. while some of the boys were sliding naked on the ice after flying home from St. John's and winning the greatest series ever played in hockey history). That was a drunk night.

Held Lord Stanley in 1994 (at Belmont Park, where Eddie Olczyk brought it to a party and up to the press box). Still have the picture. While I don't regret the Calder, I regret hoisting Stanley to this day. Should not have done it, because I didn't earn it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just for that, I'm touching it like 18 times if I ever get the chance. And before each one, I'm going to say each of your names.

"buckweaver" *touch*
    "Rosie" *touch*

It will be YOUR karma!!!

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

And you're unsanitary, too.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

For the love of Gump Worsley, no, no, no -- a thousand times NO!

The cosmic implications could be staggering.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Maybe consider the source, but I do believe I read this in a magazine about a year ago when the local team won:

http://fans.nhl.com/members/dazski_8/blogs/16398

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People have fed their dogs out of the thing. It's not holy.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Pee is far from the worst thing that's been in the Cup. I know that, and I hate hockey.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That was my above point. All of this reverance for a trophy that has probably been "lifted" countless times for the express purporse of tossing it in a pool, had all manners of fluids -- bodily and otherwise -- in it, and that has likely been used to score enough elicit blow jobs to make Lady Byng cringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted