1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Det News blogger drinks from Stanley Cup and brags

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 5, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Don't touch it if you haven't won it? That's a bunch of crap. I can understand if you're a player but somebody off the streets? C'mon. It's not like you'd be handling the remains of Jesus Christ. It's a freaking trophy. (And not even the original one at that.) Let's get a grip.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Roy held the Conn Smythe trophy over his head the three times he won it.

Players don't touch the conference championship trophies not out of respect, but because it's a sillly superstition. No one gives a shit about winning the Prince of Wales trophy or the Clarence Campbell bowl and they're afraid it might jinx them on the Final.

The Penguins wouldn't even allow it in their dressing room

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with you, if your a fan touch it all you want, have pictures with it jsut don't drink out of it.

Players shouldn't until they earn that right.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All Canadians are players. That's why we don't touch it. :)

And actually the Original one isn't the Original one. The one donated by Lord Stanley is in a vault in the HHOF.

[​IMG]

5. Guess my memories of the Conn Smythe winners aren't very strong. And I was just making a point about the conference trophies that players have all kinds of different "rules" for trophies, not just the Cup. I would say not touching the Cup before you win it rides the line between a superstition and respect for what it symbolizes. I could be wrong.
    One thing I do know, reporters -- or photographers -- should not be drinking out of the Cup during the locker room celebration. Call me old fashioned.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess hockey players are like other athletes with their superstistions but when it comes to not touching the Cup, it's more out of respect.

And I think any reporter, blogger or photographer drinking out of the Cup is totally unprofessional. Worse than asking for an autograph. Not only are you a fanboy looser but you have no manners.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't have a problem with drinking out of it, posing for pics with it or any of that -- but not the night of the finals and not on assignment covering the game. That's crossing the line between fan and professional and that's what this fanboi did.
    You want to pose on your own time and dime? Great. You happen to be in a place and it appears a month from now, like a bar or restauarant or mall? Go for it.
    Last night, this clown crossed the line IMHO....

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Waaay over the (blue) line here. I'm sure at the next Masters, Tiger's green jacket will be circulated around the press room for folks to try it on. "oooh, it's so soft!"

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As a hockey fan, I can respect that. I know other people who respect the Cup's tradition who hold that same rationale.

But I'm just too superstitious (and, you know, hold out hope that I'll get my name on the Cup one day!) So when it came to my ECHL town during the lockout, I posed for a picture but I didn't dare touch it. You couldn't pay me to touch it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you go on your own or was it an assignment? If it was the former, it's your right; if it was the latter, you too can work for the Detroit News.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'd get my picture and maybe even touch it. But I'll pass on drinking out of it. One, I didn't win it, and two, I have no idea of where it's been and whose mouth has been on it.

12. I'm just glad the DetNewser imbibing from the Cup wasn't Pat Gonzales. But Pat is a chap of too much integrity to pull such a stunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted