1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Det News blogger drinks from Stanley Cup and brags

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 5, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This caught my eye and struck me as particularly fan-boy homerish. Even for a Media News paper, this is pretty unprofessional -- at least I think so...

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/wingsblog/index.cfm?blogid=1887

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that's a photographer.

If that's the case...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is homerish. It's also the most famous trophy in the history of sports. If you had the chance to hold it, wouldn't you want to?

I've held the trophy. One of the places where I interned in college had a team in the conference finals and they brought it around to the papers in each of those four cities.

I don't even like hockey. If I could name 10 active players it would surprise me. But most of us posed with it. Granted, it wasn't on the ice during a celebration, and nobody drank from it, but it's such a cool trophy with such great history I could imagine wanting to hold it or see it up close.

Again, I would never in a million years have done what the photog/blogger did..

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course I would do it. But I wouldnt be doing it in the locker room and write about it for the web.
    Someone brought it into Fraser's Pub and I happened to be there, of course I would.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely. The bragging about it is the worst part of it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry to sound like a tightass hockey fan but you don't pick up the Cup let alone drink from it if your name isn't on it.

7. Mizzougrad96

We heard the same thing from our hockey writer back in 1994. That is definitely the purist view, which I respect and understand.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Damn right. Don't touch it unless you've won it. Yeah I know it sounds like one of those stupid "don't step on the team logo" kind of things but that's the accepted practice among your hardcore hockey types.

I can't even believe the team would allow somebody to do that.

9. Mizzougrad96

These days it's encouraged. They wouldn't bring it around the way they do if they didn't want people to hold it and pose for pictures with it.

The guy who brought it around 14 years ago was encouraging people to hold it and he worked for the NHL.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I have no problem drinking from the Stanley Cup as long as you're stepping on the team logo while doing so.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

In 2006, I saw radio and TV guys try to swindle Stanley Cup hats and champagne bottles out of Carolina's dressing room. In comparison, taking a sip is fine and dandy.

I probably saw the Cup and was within 10 feet of it half-a-dozen times during the Finals and the sixth months afterward. Never took a picture with it, much less drink from it. And never saw Mike Bolt let anyone pick it up.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'd rather eat pulled pork off the Heisman Trophy

Draft saved Draft deleted