1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"destination weddings"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 25, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm not saying, you know, spend the entire $600 it'd cost you to go. Just give your mom $300-400 bucks and tell her to have a drink on you.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I've been to five destination weddings all over the world.

You make it PART of a vacation, not the entire shebang.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Have you done those weddings since becoming a journalist?

Do you sell drugs or real estate on the side (kidding) for the extra income to afford said trips?

Just wondering. :D

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good call, Cadet. I failed to emphasize the importance of this dynamic...another reason why I'd even consider going. Mom's going in any case and she could use some moral support.

Yeah, I give the marriage about five years, ten years maximum. My niece is very immature and seems to think that anyone who's over 25 and not married is a failure in life. She's a mess. Don't know too much about the groom, except that he's a video tech for FOCKS News. :D I'd been waiting to use the official SportsJournalists.com spelling for that network.

Thanks for the excellent observations and suggestions. Haven't decided what I'm doing yet, but my basic plan is to convince Bridezilla's loving parents that they need to pony up for this horseshit. If they won't, I'll go to Plan B.

5. girl friday

girl friday Member

since it seems like you don't really want to go anyway, i think this is a great idea.

unless, like Cadet said, your mom wants you to go to keep you company. then someone is ponying up some cash to get y'all up there. they could at least pay for one ticket and then you and your mother could pay for the second...

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I have several months to convinve my half-sister to fork over for this bullshit. I think I can do it. That's really the best solution of all. Her daughter, her values in action, her responsibility.

They're all really into their local Methodist church. My half-sister's the Sunday School coordinator. I can always ask, WWJD? :D

Of course, maybe I should be careful what I ask. Perhaps Jesus would get married in Bermuda or on a yacht of the coast of Cabo San Lucas.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't get destination weddings. And I pretty much think you don't have to go to anyone's. If someone decides to have a destination wedding, then they shouldn't be surprised if no one goes. I might be an ass, but my sister had one and I didn't go. It was a fight for awhile, but it would have cost at least $2,000 for my wife, who was also pregnant at the time, and I to go. Sister chose not to spare a dime for anyone else to make the trip. Not even a meal. The reason she said she was doing it was because it was so much "cheaper" than a traditional wedding. I guess so when you only pay for yourselves to be there. In the end, to my surprise, she hasn't held it against me at all.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you have a destination wedding, do you do the honeymoon somewhere boring?

What the fuck I'm doing talking about weddings, I couldn't tell you.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You're a mean one, Mrs. Grinch. As a newlywed, I strongly believe in the registry.

Anywho, one of my best girlfriends wants to get married to a guy she's with in Boston (about five hours away), and wants me to be a bridesmaid. This is the type of girl that has a family that will foot the bill for a custom-made Vera Wang gown.

I told her straight up that I couldn't afford to be in the weddding, maybe I could afford to go to the wedding. But that's a big maybe.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This would be a good thread for Sam Kinison:

I've been in three destination weddings ... and that destination was ...

HELL!!!!! AHHHHHHH!

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think the registry can be a good thing and serves a purpose, both for the couple who needs things and guests who wouldn't know what else to get.

But I take offense to all the little princesses who get pissed when people don't follow their registry to a T. You are getting a gift. Sure, make fun of the fifth toaster, and register for those lobster forks you'll never use, but don't get pissed off when people don't give precisely the gift you want. It sounds like WI's niece would fall into this category.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that I'm finally at that age where I don't have to go to 6-8 weddings a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted