1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"destination weddings"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 25, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree with this but i'd add "i make $xxx/week and have no savings. i'd love to be there but i literally cannot afford it. by the way, mom is on a very fixed income. she, too, would love to go but also doesn't have the money."

there's nothing to be ashamed of but she might need to wake up call to grasp the concept that (1) a destination wedding is a burden on all invited and (2) there are some people - even people she loves - who aren't as spoiled as her and who don't have the disposable income she has.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do not go and do not feel bad about it.

I had a destination wedding. Know who went? Me and my wife.

We had separate parties for friends and family before and after.

No way I would want to burden anyone with that. Hell, I barely wanted to burden myself.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The "destination wedding" is a fine idea if that's what the bride and groom choose, but only the VERY immediate ought to be required to go. And if they're sticking anyone with a $500 or more ticket, then they shouldn't be surprised if no one shows up.

I love my small family very much, but if you can forgive me for not showing up to a wedding because I'm on a six-month deployment with the Navy, you can forgive me for not ponying up the dough for a trip to the Caymens just to see you get hitched.

Not unless you can guarantee me some action with a bridesmaid or three.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fixed. ;D

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fixed again. :D

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That'd be me, Huggy & Double J. :)

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of my life.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you can't be there, you can't be there. I have missed several of my brothers and sisters weddings because I was at McGill in Montreal and my family is all in Vancouver. One brother who really wanted me to sign at his wedding (and has some cash) paid for my ticket to come to his nuptials (he also got me home for my Dad's funeral). The rest completely understood because that's what family does.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Count my vote for not attending as well.

To go into debt to attend a wedding is ludicrous. Don't do it. All the suggestions given here are really good.

And if the happy, shallow couple has a problem with that, then you certainly don't need them in your life.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Give the money you could use for the wedding to your mother, so she can attend.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps my wedding gift to the next destination wedding couple could be a book titled "How to spend as much time, money and effort on your marriage as you do on your wedding."

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I actually think this is a great idea. Def. something I'd strongly consider.

Draft saved Draft deleted