1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desperate for iPod assistance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jul 12, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't mean to post this here, but I've tried Googling and getting into newsgroups and everything, and still I'm about to pull my hair out stumped.

I just bought an iPod and I'm trying to plug it into my USB port. Every time it recognizes the new hardware, it also recognizes a "USB Mass Storage Device."

I go through the process of looking for drivers, etc. Then I get an error message telling me:

"There was a problem installing this hardware.
    iPod.
    An error occured during the installation of the device.
    The data is invalid."

I have tried plugging the iPod into all of my USB ports, and I get the same result. (The ports should be USB 2.0, since I only got the computer two years ago, though I don't know for sure.)

Needless to say, iTunes is not recognizing the iPod, so I can't transfer over my four days of music, which I'ma need soon enough.

Can anyone help?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is not relevant to the topic, but I just got a MacBook (my first Apple) and it is amazing. I am running Windows and OS X. Why did I ever have a PC? Now I need to get an iPod.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just guessing, but some of the refurbished iPods are formatted for Macs...you have to convert them for PCs. It's simple, I think, if you go to the iPod site...that might be your fix.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks for the tip, 21, but I already checked. It's formatted for Windows.

I've spent the better part of four hours the past two days trying to figure it out, and it ain't getting any better.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Try ilounge.com. Great message board.

I am just a novice with my Ipod but have you loaded iTunes yet? Perhaps unless you have loaded iTunes, the ipod will just be recognized as another mass storage device.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do what I did.
    Get a Dell.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Indeed (hi Jones!), iTunes is loaded -- the most current version, too, off the Apple Web site.

Thanks for the message board tip. Maybe I can get somewhere on this ...

P.S. Moddy -- I have a Dell. Screw Dell.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Works for me.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

wicked: Moddy meant a Dell MP3 player. Like instead of an iPod.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'd rather eat my own anus than buy another Dell.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Again - not a Dell computer. A dell digital.
    We have four in the family and all work like a charm and there's no bullshit about loading them up.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know, Mod. I just don't trust any pieces of shit Dell makes.

Draft saved Draft deleted