1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desk editors: What did you do with Braden's perfect game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, May 12, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No paper Monday, but I would have teased it and put a 10-incher inside with art.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Led the MLB Roundup with a mug of Braden on 3B, top of page. Didn't tease to it though...a local team threw its second perfect game in a row (albeit a second 5-inning perfect game blowout win and the 2nd game had 3 pitchers combine for it), so I teased that instead.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I put the Jimenez no-hitter across the top on a not-too-terribly-busy Saturday night. Partly because it was the first in Rockies' history and they are the closest thing we have to a regional team (albeit several hours away).

I guess my mindset is that a good percentage of the readership is like me: adults with no kids in the schools and no ties to the local area and could care less about high schools or legion ball. So I try to balance it out. We rarely have a day with NO local stories on the cover and we rarely have a day with NO wire stories on the cover, either.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand this thinking. If you are a daily newspaper and that's the biggest thing that happened the day before, why bury it in lieu of other wire copy because some of your readers may have seen it already?

If that's the case, they would have seen everything in your newspaper.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Unless you have a really amazing local story, and maybe even still, perfect games in the majors don't happen that often. Sports front definitely, and maybe tease on front page.

And if anyone saw the National Post (one of Canada's national papers) it was huge on their front.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

WFW. There's too many editors who out-think and abuse the "already seen it" mantra.

That rationale is fine for a run-of-the-mill game, not so for a perfect game.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I still by my belief that a perfect game is rare and more significant than the NBA, NHL playoff games or the golf tournament that day.

If we start going by the notion that "everyone has already seen it" we will make newspapers altogether obsolete.

8. ajp1984

ajp1984 Member

We're a good-size metro paper, and we put all no-hitters and perfect games on the cover in some form -- refer on top, or in our news-of-the-day rail, at the very least.

Draft saved Draft deleted