1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desk Editor, Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://apsportseditors.org/jobs-internships/help-wanted/desk-editor-abu-dhabi/

Granted, it's not for everyone. OK, probably most everyone. Designing pages, copy editing, writing headlines, etc. Half a world away.

I know two friends/former colleagues who are there (year-plus for them), and I can put you in contact with them for more background/details, so PM me if you want. Actually, one is my mentor who I have the highest respect for and learned a lot about this business from, and if I had more of an adventure streak in me I'd go (they've been pushing me there for nine-plus months), but I just landed a very good/solid full-time gig where I'm at so I'm here.

The best part: The pay is good and it's tax free. And you get a paid round-trip flight home. And the big worry of the past year was doing what's best for the paper, not worrying about walking in and who was going to get cut next.

2. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Robert Mashburn -- formerly of the AJC? Interesting.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I had the freedom to move anywhere I wanted, and if I weren't petrified of flying over water...I'd so give this a serious thought.

Good luck to all who apply.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's him.

5. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....I put my name in the hat yesterday. Being single with no kids and few attachments would make it easy for me to make the jump across the world, God willing.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Good luck! And if hoops mccann was still around: you're hired!

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's the only way to fly.

8. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

My buddy works for a newspaper in the Emirates. Last time I talked to him, he said, "I love it here! We're making like it's 1999! Fully staffed newsroom, completely up-to-date equipment. Almost makes you forget you're a mouthpiece for the sheikh."

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I too sent a resume and asked a few questions. I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified what with only four years' experience in newspapers, but I guess we'll see what happens. I'm single with no kids and have been to the Middle East (though not the UAE), and I am definitely interested in the prospect of living and working there.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Any idea the number/caliber of applicants? I ask about caliber on the basis that this isn't for everyone - if a paper that size had an opening here, everyone and their brother would be applying. Across the world, I'm not so sure.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They're looking to fill as soon as they can, I'm told. But also looking for the solid/strong candidate. My impression was there haven't been a lot of applicants, but this is the first venture in a while in terms of advertising in the States, and putting it on here, I think has ratcheted up the number of applicants. If you're good enough, they'll look hard at you. The big worry on their end, I suspect -- getting you to make the jump to move there.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great gig but you might want to consider that al quaeda is in the neighborhood.

Draft saved Draft deleted