1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desire to seek apology from player's parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 27, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I mean parents in general.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I want the apology from the parents because the father wrote, "Really crappy reporting here," and sent his email to the principal and the mother wrote, "I would think you ought not to bother reporting facts if they are not accurate to begin with."

If they had just pointed out the error and asked for a correction, I would have done it without seeking an apology.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel but run the correction and let it go. Criticism is part of this business and it's going to happen.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

For nearly all of the 13 years, parents have run roughshod over me. I'm drawing the line -- you can ask for a correction, but you don't have to go over the top.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's like libel. They have the ultimate defense: truth.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The nastiness was not necessary.

8. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

I'm still failing to see how either parents' email crossed the line or would be considered over the top to anybody who isn't an overly sensitive teenage girl. You made the mistake, you run the correction and then you get over it.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The father went over the line by writing "really crappy reporting here," and sending his email to the principal, thinking it was a mistake by the team statisticians. The mother went over the line by writing, "I would think you ought not to bother reporting facts if they are not accurate to begin with."

They are bullies.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The following is a collection of opening posts by Mr. X (bold is mine):

And my favorite:

11. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

No matter how many times you repeat what each parent wrote, it won't make your argument any more logical. I'm starting to think you're just trolling us because I can't see anyone with an ounce of professionalism or common sense actually asking their publisher if they can send an email to a pair of parents basically saying, "You hurt my feelings. Now apologize or I'm going to do an even worse job than I already am."

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Among other things, I deserve respect. Essentially everyone deserves respect. These parents did not respect me. I'm going to give them a chance to make up for that with an apology. If they don't, I will ask the publisher if I can keep the name of their daughter, the backup goalkeeper, out of the newspaper until they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted