1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desire to seek apology from player's parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As everyone here said, write the correction and don't demand anything. Know, though, that you are one of the few people who has the power to put the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fucko in the paper, and let's say, for instance, when she gets to the varsity level it comes down to Picture A and Picture B, you might just choose Picture B.

Forgive, don't forget.

I have one set of parents who have just been up my asshole for five years, since Johnny Fucko was a 6th grader. He's just about to make an impact at the varsity level ... What a long five years it's been for me.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You made the mistake. Run the correction. Move on. There will always be readers with gripes, warranted or not. Unless the parents libeled or slandered you in some way, a demand for an apology would be extremely unprofessional and will reflect worse on you than on the parents, especially if you announce you will no longer mention the daughter's name.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Make a coverage decision based on the parents' comments as posted above? Hold a grudge? Man, the definitions of "asshole" and "abusive" surely have changed. Based on the facts we have and what I've seen over the years, the parents were fairly tame in their responses.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I disagree. It was a mistake that the publisher shouldn't have been bothered. Daddy president of the BOE wanted to show that he has some clout. He went totally overboard. Momma venting the way that she did was acceptable.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

You are able to disagree based on what I've seen over the years? Man, you're good, Drip.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Run the correction like you would any other.

You can't let this stuff get to you personally or it will drive you insane. I would try to answer emails and phone calls politely, but refused to get in a back-and-forth pissing war with readers.

Just a simple email stating "sorry that I got the wrong name. No offense intended." would suffice.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know how much time you have put in Charlie. It's not about that. I think Dad went overboard, trying to show he's got clout. Mom's vent was tame.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I demand an apology for getting sucked into reading this thread.

Write a correction. That's the end of it. If this is the harshest abuse you have to suffer, you're doing OK. There are a lot of people here who have literally been threatened over high school crap like this. What happened to you was dickish, but mild.

Put your big boy pants on and soldier on.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I hope when you're done pouting you come back here and delete this post, realizing how silly it is.

Way too far would be swearing at you, threatening at you, resorting to physical violence, demanding that you be fired, etc. Sending you an email asking that you report only facts or questioning whether someone is giving you wrong information is very much within reason.

What power do these parents have? The power to get you fired? You've been doing your job for 13 years. That power has failed them. What power do you want? The power to tell them to fuck off? Go buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuck-Stamp-Little-Seedling-Edition/dp/160433309X

Have you never made a mistake before? Get over it and move on. If you can't, go find a new career where you will never make a mistake.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

None of the complaints for our stuff at my first job ever went to our department. They were addressed to the publisher or the ME. This isn't unusual.

11. Write the correction.
    Vent here.

Let.
    It.
    Go.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd just like to note I did not start this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted