1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, The News-Press in Fort Myers, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EdReed, Jun 13, 2007.

1. EdReed

EdReed Member

We are looking for a designer to produce 2-4 section fronts a week, inside pages and help produce 5-6 special sections — football, spring training, high school all-area — a year. We 'd prefer someone with at least two years experience working for a daily, but we have recently hired designers straight out of college. We'd like someone who brings energy and fresh ideas to an annually recognized APSE 100,000-circulation sports section. We've made a lot of strides in our look over the past two years. We encourage creativity and allow our designers to try new things while keeping the integrity of the section in mind. Start pay would be in the mid-30s and we'd like to have someone in by mid-July. Remember, we are in Lee County, not Collier County, so the cost of living is more reasonable.
    Also, for those worried about housing, we have a staffer renting a one-bedroom condo on a golf course. Rent is negotiable.
    Those interested or with any other questions can contact Ed Reed at 239-335-0357 or e-mail a resume and portfolio pages to ereed@news-press.com or dkaye@news-press.com.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not familiar with Ed, but David Kaye is one of the good guys. Jump on this, people, if you have the means.

3. andykent

andykent Member

Am very familiar with Ed and he is one of the very good guys. They don't come much more honest and fair.

4. david kaye

david kaye Member

Thanks, Doc.

If a certain someone hadn't just taken a new job, we wouldn't be posting this. ;)

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I thought this job/a similar job in Fort Myers was open, like, five minutes ago.

rb

6. EdReed

EdReed Member

It's a different person leaving. We have 4 designers and 2 copy editors. We just hired one 6 months ago and now our No. 2 designer has decided she wants to live closer to home - Ohio - so she gave her notice.

7. ogre

ogre Member

I know very little about the scene in fy myers. A) this is where neion deon is from. b) my homeboy lives there and speaks very highly of the ice cream and air conditioning.

Dont base your complete opinion on these two facts. dont front on this info either.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Ed and David know plenty more than I do, but Ms. Bobcat is a very close friend of the person whose departure has opened this position, so I have heard plenty about The News-Press (good stuff, I promise).

If you have any questions they can't answer, feel free to PM me.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

David is awful. Man tried to bribe me with cigs to move over to newsside when we were in the Haute :D

In all seriousness, he's a great guy, but I don't know anything about the job or the paper.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Ed, not to rag on you, but you have four designers and two copy editors?

Two designers and four copy editors makes more sense.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not really. I'm DyePack's worst nightmare in that I'm a designer who can copy edit. But I've met some copy editors I wouldn't trust with more than an agate page. So I'm assuming the four designers can also copy edit, depending on the shift, but the two copy editors are just that. Correct me, Ed or David, if I'm wrong.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Well, I've met plenty of designers who can't spell CAT, so I never let designers touch words at all. Too much clean-up on deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted