1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, Santa Rosa, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jumpin Jack Flash, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Anyone got the skinny on this position? I know Santa Rosa is pretty nice, but how is the paper?

The Press Democrat, a 92,000-circ New York Times regional daily in Santa Rosa, Calif., is anticipating an opening for a lead sports designer with strong editing skills and sound news judgment. We value content-driven presentation that includes generous use of outstanding photography and graphics. Our sports designers are challenged daily to shape a lively section that includes staff coverage of the 49ers, Raiders, Giants and A's.

What you bring to the table: Enthusiasm. A desire to be a leader in a fun, collaborative newsroom. An appreciation of newspapers. And lots of ideas on how to make them better.

Santa Rosa is a city of 150,000 in the heart of Northern California's Wine Country, about an hour north of San Francisco. We're a guild paper with excellent pay, benefits and opportunities, including a stock purchase plan and 401(K). Sports designers work 4-day weeks and new hires start with 3 weeks of vacation.

Send a resume, letter and at least six samples showcasing section front design to:

Steve Leone
    Design Desk Chief
    The Press Democrat
    P.O. Box 910
    Santa Rosa, CA 95401

2. PDsportsdesigner

PDsportsdesigner New Member

Skinny? Here's the deal. My buddy, the other sports designer, is leaving. We're looking for a sports designer -- experience is needed. Santa Rosa's a decent place to live, and it's close to SF. It's a four-night-a-week job, and you'd probably be doing sports every night you work -- I get dragged to biz and other departments. The people are nice and the pay is better than 90% of the jobs for this size out there. If you want more specifics, ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted