1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, Salt Lake City, Utah

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Salt Lake Tribune is seeking a sports designer who can execute high-impact presentations and thrives in an environment in which excellence is expected daily. Ideal candidates have a proven ability to handle themselves at a daily and can work in a highly collaborative environment and also has the ability and willingness to work closely with counterparts throughout the newsroom and the paper's design editor. The right candidate would be considered for our Assistant Sports Editor position, acting as sports copy desk supervisor. The Tribune, Utah's leading newspaper and a Daily/Sunday Top 10-APSE section, is a great place to work: it has a new building, a new printing facility, an aggressive Web operation and is among the few newspapers with a growing print circulation. To apply, send an appropriate hard-copy portfolio to Jon Clifford, Deputy Sports Editor, The Salt Lake Tribune, 90 South 400 West,Suite 700, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84101. Questions may be directed to jclifford@sltrib.com.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Dealt with Tim Fitzpatrick, the ME, a few years back for a different spot and he seemed like someone who got it. This paper is adding (at least replacing) while others are cutting back. New offices too.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I saw that paper a few months ago...looked real good. It was the edition that ran the day after the Jazz got knocked out of the playoffs and they had a lot of nice showing where the shots came from.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I have to wonder when the Singleton magic will hit this paper, though. The lost a couple of people, so it's not as much adding as it is replacing. Still, at least the spots aren't going dark.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I agree with Buck about Clifford. Good guy, has his stuff together and say what you will about Utah, but it's a beautiful place to be.

6. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I agree that the Trib has a great look.

Being that it's Utah (referring to low cost of living), and that it's owned by Lean Dean, I'd wonder what the pay would be? Would there be a difference in pay if you took on the assistant role?

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

They contacted me about this position about six months ago. Went through some of the interview process and then they fell off the face of the earth. I'm not bitter, I'm out of the business, but still, that kind of upset me. They e-mailed me first, not the other way around. Seems the onus would be on them to stay in contact.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good people and a good paper out there.

Given different circumstances, I'd be all over this one.

9. StormyOne

StormyOne New Member

This is not a new position. The Trib is replacing its top sports designer. This person was a top-flight designer and, from a design standpoint, carried that section on his back. He will be missed. The Trib will be hard-pressed to final a replacement so talented and hard working. As far as the ASE goes, the Trib's been trying to find the right replacement since last fall. That guy was the desk chief. So, it seems to me, the Trib lost its two top desk guys in less than a year. Anastasi's a good guy and very fair, but he expects a lot, too. Good luck to those applying.

10. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

All right, I just have to chirp in here. For the record, the Tribune hasn't lost its two top desk guys -- it has had one move back to his home state and one got a nice state job. One of the other desk guys, myself, is still here. You will not be thrown into the fire with this job, expected to design fronts with little or no training. There will be some tough nights -- stupid 8 p.m. Ute football game August 30th -- but it's a job that lends itself to growth and an enjoyable experience. I moved to Utah four years ago thinking I was going to be a copy editor/designer for a year or two, then move on. I love it here. Message me with questions.

11. AthleticsSupporter

AthleticsSupporter New Member

Any update here? Know some folks who have sent their stuff along. Seems too good a job to last long. ....

12. hassman

hassman New Member

Clifford is a good guy, but come on, it's Utah people.

Draft saved Draft deleted