1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 25, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Ahwatukee Foothills News, an award-winning collection of community newspapers located at the base of South Mountain in Phoenix, Ariz., has an opening for a full-time page designer who seeks the deadline hustle of a daily while simultaneously enjoying the creative approach and balance of a smaller community effort.
    AFN seeks a sports writer to fill out our three-person sports team who can help guide local high school and community sports coverage for the twice-weekly namesake (26,500 circulation, times two), weekly Ocotillo Tribune (25,000) and Maricopa Connection (10,000) newspapers.

The position will primarily focus on prep sports coverage from August through May, supplemented (both in-season and during the summer) with community ventures, action sports, youth activities, with the opportunity available for local college and pro coverage when applicable. With Web operations in full force as well, gameday coverage of prep football, among other events/situations, will be necessary.

We operate on a PC platform using Adobe InDesign and InCopy through a local database system. Page design experience is a plus for any candidate.

Experience is preferred, but recent talented college graduates with a portfolio of solid work will be considered. Competitive salary, health benefits, dental, eye and 401-K are all available. AFN is owned by Freedom Communications and operates directly under the umbrella of the East Valley Tribune, a 90,000-circulation daily located in nearby Mesa, Ariz.

Please e-mail resume, cover letter and 5-8 writing samples to: Brett Fera, Sports Editor, Ahwatukee Foothills News at bfera@aztrib.com or apply below.

Portfolios sent via traditional mail will be considered, but with the prep season beginning in just weeks, we’re looking to move FAST on this position.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Maybe they're looking for 5-8 editing samples? You're right. Something isn't right, though.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Maybe it's two openings. At least, I hope so.

4. It sounds like it should be a reporter opening and they just forgot to change the first graf ... at least I hope so. For smaller papers like that it would make sense that page design experience would be a plus.

5. zonazonazona

zonazonazona New Member

My apologies to all, I posted the job online and made the (typical?) mistake of not proofreading (horrible, i know) a previous ad that was for a designer.

I took that first "description" from the designer ad, and copied it over, and failed to make the changes. The job is for a sports writer only. The design position has been filled. Page design experience is a plus, but not necessary...

Thanks

-Brett Fera
    bfera@aztrib.com

Draft saved Draft deleted