1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer - Lewiston, ME

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Job Bank: Sports designer, Lewiston
    Job description: We've produced some of the best designers in the business and we are looking for the next star. There is a rare opening in our sports department for a designer. With the Red Sox in first place and the Patriots built like a Super Bowl contender, this could be a huge opportunity for a designer to do some high profile work. We believe in our designers at the Sun Journal and give them a lot of freedom to be creative and apart of the decision-making process. We also believe in being bold, especially with our local high school, college and semipro teams. We are looking to move quickly on this position, so ship off a resume, a link to your clips and a reference list to Managing Editor of Visuals & Sports Nick Masuda. Contact info follows. Are you ready to shine?

Unless otherwise instructed in the job description above, resumes and work samples should be sent to the contact name and address below:

Nick Masuda
    Managing Editor of Visuals & Sports
    Sun Journal
    104 Park Street
    Lewiston, ME 04240
    United States

Telephone: (207) 689-2809
    Fax:
    E-mail: nmasuda@sunjournal.com
    Web site: www.sunjournal.com

Date of posting: 06/15/2007

http://www.snd.org/jobs/jobs.lasso?ID=39955

2. blueview

blueview Member

Any info on this place?

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Love the title inflation: This is a pretty small place to have a managing editor for sports and visuals. Everyone gets a ribbon.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I remember a friend of mine forwarding a Sun Journal link to me. It was an A1 front the day after Anna Nicole Smith died. Three-quarter page cutout with a huge headline and AP story dominated it. Sad, really.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

I think Limp Bizkit name dropped this town.

6. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I hear what you're saying, but that's not really the case in this shop. Aside from the exec. editor, the Sun Journal has three managing editors with pretty wide areas of responsibility: days, nights and sports/visuals. It's a bit different from some setups, but it works for that paper. When I interviewed there, I never got the impression that it was manager-heavy. If you're an M.E. at this place, it's a roll-up-your-sleeves kind of job.

Nick's good people. A little over-the-top, as evidenced by the tenor of this ad, but a good guy with good ideas.

7. blueview

blueview Member

From the feelers, just a bit of info:

Pretty packaging of a paper that's heavily local, from news to sports to features. A bit sensationalist on some of its general coverage. No in-house reporters covering Boston sports, just the local major-junior hockey team - a reporter was sent to the Memorial Cup, but not on the paper's dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted