1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/layout editor, Savannah, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

We're looking for a lead sports designer/layout editor at the Savannah Morning News. We emphasize local sports, which includes local and regional high schools along with four colleges in our coverage area and University of Georgia football. This designer will play a key role in organizing and presenting the Sports section, including our key weekend sections, Outdoor coverage and elements of our Web site. Contact Gale Baldwin, Managing Editor, at gale.baldwin@savannahnow.com.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Savannah. I'd move there in a minute.

3. Mississippi

Mississippi New Member

Any idea what pay might be like for this position? I like Savannah, but it's not the cheapest place to live.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

PM with questions.

5. Thief

Thief New Member

Unless they changed up responsibilities recently, my guess is that this is 95% nightly design, with all that editor stuff thrown in to make it sound good (same with Georgia football, which Morris covers with one Augusta-based writer for all their papers). I'd also guess salary is around 35K.

Savannah and the rest of Morris has struggled to avoid bankruptcy and they're in big debt. Last year they did the full no raises, no 401K matches no perks move, but I don't know if that's still in effect. Be sure to ask.

Editors are a mixed bag, but there's a good amount of creative freedom. Expect to work as your own copy editor as well.

Savannah's beautiful if you make $350,000 a year and can live out on the islands. When you make $35,000 it's like any other southern city, though the beach is 25 minutes away.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Maybe he's mellowed in 20 years, I don't know. But Gale could be a testy little gnome.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is true.

But what I found out when I moved to SoCal is that if I'm going to be living in the ghetto and struggling to pay the bills, I'd rather do it with the ocean breeze in my face. Same applies to one of my favorite cities ever: Savannah. You may not be able to buy anything on River St., but it's not a bad life to go hang out there anyway.

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

There are still many dives on River Street that are affordable. Just have to know where to go...

9. Thief

Thief New Member

Like I said, the editors are a mixed bag.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, but Frank, Gale is so cute when he's testy. Gotta like the little fella.

11. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Stunned -- stunned I tell you -- to learn Drip knows Gale. Such a small world.

Savannah is a cool city, but I firmly believe it's a better place to visit than live. I sure enjoy living 20 minutes away, though.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hope no pun was intended. Be aware that Morris Communications is in an upheaval financially speaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted