1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer in Fredericksburg

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Justin_Rice, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=879946

It's not exactly a sports opening, but our design department is looking for a senior designer - they're looking for someone who can help lead our designers and - since our main sports designer is leaving - I would LOVE if they hired someone who is into sports.

It's a family-owned paper in Fredericksburg, Va. - a nice place to live (yes - I know it can be expensive) about midway between D.C. and Richmond. We cover lots of interesting things in sports - ACC basketball/football, the Nationals, Redskins, Wizards, lots of preps ... . And the paper just redesigned - looking pretty sharp these days, IMO.

I've got nothing to do with the hiring for this one, but I'll definitely be lobbying for someone who understands the difference between a football field goal and basketball's field goal percentage.

Questions? I can take a crack at 'em ... to apply, follow the link - sending me your resume will do you no good.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This a good mid-sized paper with some good people working there. In my experience Justin is a solid guy and they do cover Redskins, Nats, U.Va. and Tech well so there would be some opportunities to do cool stuff.

There are things about their recent redesign I love and some things I hate. The paper looks a lot like the KC Star.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

As far as the job itself, I have nothing to offer. I know the difference between a field goal and field goal percentage, but I can't tell a pica pole from a strip club pole.

What I do know is that if Justin Rice is indicative of the rest of the staff, the paper is stocked with good, hardworking people. I've never heard anyone that matters speak ill of Rice or his abilities.

The paper itself is located in a gorgeous part of town, within walking distance of some very cool cafes and shops.

I gather that the cost of living is somewhat high, but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be worked through with a little resourcefulness or marrying wealthy.

And the paper does look very, very good. Again, I know squat about design, but I know what makes me go "Oooooh...pretty."

4. VJ

VJ Member

Good people and paper for its circulation. You won't find a much better small city to live in an hour away from a major metro area.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was hoping this would be Fredericksburg, Texas. I loves me some Hill Country.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Justin is good people. But he drinks light beer.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Is there still a weekly poker game? Dave Alexander owes me approximately $500.

8. I'm having trouble reconciling those statements. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted