1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer in Elgin, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by StompyJones, Jul 9, 2006.

1. StompyJones

StompyJones New Member

The Courier News in Elgin, a daily newspaper located in the competitive Chicago-area market, has an opening for a talented designer on its universal design desk. The successful appplicant will be a visual journalist with particularly strong design skills, a creative spirit and an eye for detail (not to mention excellent time-management skills). Recent college grads with a degree and experience in design encouraged to apply. Significant newspaper design experience is a must, along with Macintosh and InDesign skills; knowledge of Photoshop, Freehand and copy editing is a definite plus.

The current position involves sports design but includes news and periodic business design work.

If you are looking for a fresh, innovative newspaper in a large metro market that isn’t afraid of taking visual risks and is always seeking new ways to package information, then this may be the opportunity for you.

The Courier News is located in a diverse community of 100,000 about 30 miles northwest of Chicago. We offer competitive pay and benefits.

Send a cover letter, resume and tightly-edited portfolio to:
    Marty O’Mara
    News editor
    The Courier News
    P.O. Box 531
    Elgin, IL 60121
    or e-mail: momara@scn1.com

2. brian griffin

brian griffin Member

The last two people to hold this position are now working for The Charlotte Observer.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Should we pop the cork on the champagne now or wait until later?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's my Elgin story:

Began a roadie following the Grateful Dead, which played at the Rosemont Horizon in 1994. We stayed at a motel in Elgin. I played some pick-up ball at an elementary school playground and then ate a bucket of KFC that night. Ran into some heads at the motel and got goofy well into morning.

The next night, saw my 1st Dead show. A good show, I think, for the ambiance. Shakedown street was awesome. Ate some rasta pasta and enjoyed a nice 8-hour ride.

Ahh, Elgin.

5. brian griffin

brian griffin Member

You'll have to pop the cork, I can only afford wine from a box.

Draft saved Draft deleted