1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, The Brunswick News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bhughes_BRnews, May 13, 2014.

1. Bhughes_BRnews

Bhughes_BRnews New Member

My name is Buddy Hughes, and I'm the city editor at The Brunswick News. This site was a great help to me when I was looking for jobs as a sports reporter. It's one of the reason I made it to Brunswick. Now that I'm city editor, I have a chance to give back. It's not a sports gig, but having made the transition from sports to news last year, I know sports journalists are equipped with the skills we are looking for in a designer/copy editor. The job is my old one, so I can offer some details on what you will be doing. I don't know how much the pay will be, but our managing editor may be able to give you the specifics on that front. His info is included in the details below from an ad we posted in various press associations. We've received a few submissions already, but we are hoping to get more.

Job details:
    The Brunswick News, a daily newspaper a stone's throw from the beaches of St. Simons and Jekyll islands, is looking for an individual who is proficient in InDesign, InCopy and Photoshop. Headline writing skills a plus. The right candidate should be detail-oriented and creative and able to handle multiple tasks at the same time. Send resume and samples to Hank Rowland, Managing Editor, The Brunswick News, P.O. Box 1557, Brunswick, GA 31521 or email hrowland@thebrunswicknews.com

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hi Buddy,

Smart move on your part. I'm one of those guys who has worked news (including A1) as well as sports. Good journalists can make the transition without a great deal of difficulty. I personally think it's easier moving from sports to news than the other way because sports people are used to working on deadline, dealing with breaking news, reshuffling things in a section, etc. If you can learn the names of all the area teams and coaches, you can probably learn the names of the mayor and everyone on the city council.

Good luck finding a great candidate.

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Sounds like you've never worked news.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've done plenty of news, mate.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Doesn't sound like it if you think learning the names of the city council members is anything substantial.

Also, news people deal with breaking news far more frequently than some here want to believe. If that's changed, it's likely because places don't want to pay the freight.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

The biggest difference I've had working sports than news is that with sports I have a lot of hurry up and wait, whereas in news, 80% of my stuff is waiting for me when I get to work. But in both I'm working right up til deadline

But breaking news happens in both A and B sections.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Save for election night, I was rarely pushing deadline on news desk. More often than not, I was done an hour before page deadline. That just seemed to be the nature of things.

8. DeskMonkey1

I was never done an hour before deadline due to the amount of pages.

It's a different job than sports but not easier, not by a mile

9. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

I currently have Buddy's old, old job in the sports department. I've enjoyed living here so far, and this is a good environment to work in. If you like beaches and are an avid golfer like me, it's hard to beat this area.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

Too bad my golf game is something Ripley's wouldn't believe and TMZ would not broadcast. ;D I wouldn't mind applying but my skills are rusty and I am more familiar with Quark X-press and Pagemaker.

11. DeskMonkey1

If you know Quark, InDesign isn't hard to learn.

12. slc10

slc10 Member

So I have seen. My golf game is still erratic. I could play softball in my younger days.

Draft saved Draft deleted