1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks a talented sports page designer/copy editor with a good eye for layout and solid word skills. We cover three professional sports teams, five Division I universities and more than 100 high schools. The sports section, which has won numerous APSE awards, is a tabloid Monday through Saturday and a broadsheet on Sunday. Applicants should be familiar with InDesign and must work nights and weekends. At least three years’ experience at a 50,000-plus circulation paper is mandatory. The Trib, circulation 200,000 and growing, is based in one of the few American cities with competing, independently owned newspapers. The Trib is on the city's North Shore, between PNC Park and Heinz Field. Pittsburgh is a terrific news area and an affordable place to live. Send cover letter, work samples and resume to: Mark Gruetze, Administrative Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Email: mgruetze@tribweb.com.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's the word on this paper? Can't be all bad if there's a bar in the same building! (A Google Maps search shows the Clark Bar & Grill at the same address.)

Serious about the question, though. And, yes, I know the Steelers fans live there.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

This job, I believe, was posted about a month ago. Seems odd they didn't find someone to fill it back then.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I interviewed there several years ago for a deputy SE position, liked it a lot and would have accepted had an offer come - withdrew because FanHouse offered me two days after I interviewed. Had I known how THAT would have worked out *** anyway, it struck me as a solid operation. I keep hearing "something has to give" with two papers in Pittsburgh but two seem to exist pretty well.

5. ryanb

ryanb Member

I think most of the rumors about the two major newspapers in Pittsburgh come from people at one place questioning the long-term viability of the other one. I don't think either is going anywhere.

Lots of good people at the Trib. I worked with most of them when I was there and would be very happy to work with them again. Can't say I really took much advantage of the Clark Bar and Grill when I worked there, but the food is good. Working a short walk from the stadiums is nice, except when you have to work the day of a Steelers home game.

Happy to offer any insight if anybody has questions.

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Spent a little time on the sports desk at the Trib, and I enjoyed it tremendously.
    As for long-term viability, Scaife loses millions a year on the Trib, but the Post-Gazette rattles the saber every few years about how they're not making any money (coincidentally, it's right around the time when labor contracts are up).
    Also, the Clark Bar & Grill raises their prices on Steelers gameday. You've been warned.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't they used to make Clark Bars in that building?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree with Ryan about both papers being around. I've always been a fan of the Post-Gazette. I wonder why there is such a high turnover at the Tribune-Review? They are seemingly always advertising for posts.

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

They did. In fact, there was a movement on city council NOT to take down the Clark Bar sign in favor of the lit-up Trib sign. City council's Democratic, and the Trib leans Republican/Libertarian. The funny part is that the Clark Candy Co. packed up and left, so it was essentially a monument to losing jobs.

Post-Gazette's a Guild shop. They don't pay as well as they used to, but you can still make decent coin there. The Trib doesn't pay quite so well, and the hires are one of two types: Making a splashy hire and paying them accordingly (Dejan Kovacevic and Alan Robison come immediately to mind) or looking for a warm body because they need one and know it's a buyer's market (that, honestly, is how I got hired).
    Plus, at least when I was there, morale at the Trib was so low you had to dig for it — and this was BEFORE the economy tanked and newspapers really starting gutting their newsrooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted