1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Northern Virginia Daily

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by YGBFKM, Jul 15, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hey all, posting this job for anyone who might be interested. It's primarily a news design position, but if you can design sports pages, you can design news pages. And jobs that pay are better than jobs that don't. It's a relatively small, family-owned shop in northern Virginia, not far from the WV line and about an hour from D.C. It's in the Shenandoah Valley if you care about nature and stuff like that. :) Anyway, there are a couple positives: No Sunday edition, so you'll always have Saturdays off, and there will be plenty of opportunities to do front-page design, so creativity will not be stifled. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Thanks. Ad below.

Virginia’s best small daily newspaper needs a copy editor who can do it all.

The successful candidate will handle local and wire stories, design clean, compelling pages and write headlines that draw readers into a story. Sound judgment on story and photo play is a must.

You'll also need 1) a good grasp of AP style; 2) familiarity with Quark and Photoshop; and 3) the ability to perform well under deadline pressure.

The Daily holds 10 consecutive Sweepstakes awards from the Virginia Press Association. That success has opened doors for many of our staff members at mid-size and metro publications.

The family-owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley, just a short distance from Washington, D.C.

Snail mail your résumé and your best work samples to Managing Editor Bob Wooten at The Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, VA 22657. Or e-mail the material to bwooten@nvdaily.com.

No phone calls please.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gosh, I'm glad at least one person out there recognizes this. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "Well, can you handle anything besides sports?"

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Interviewed there in the spring during a job search that landed me a non-newspaper job. Took the job before their hiring process was done. Seemed like good folks to work with, but it is a small town. If I was going to take a newspaper job, being family owned definitely is a plus. It didn't seem like a very diverse area, though.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Decent area to live. Cost of living isn't too high. Tons of cities within a few hours drive for weekend trips and such.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, Strasburg is small, but the neighboring town of Winchester is basically the typical American suburb, with all the amenities you would expect. And just to the east, Front Royal is the canoe capital of the world (so says the sign).

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Our little shop is the beneficiary of a recent NVD desker, who knows her stuff.

7. JackReacher

And apparently, Strasburg is the antique capital of Virginia. Awesome.

Also, the Hi Neighbor in Strasburg has kick-ass eggs benedict. Try it with sausage or scrapple. Amazing!

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They already named a town after him? Wow!

9. JackReacher

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bump.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's the canoe capital of VIRGINIA. And the deer are horny!

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just bumping this up in case there are any new job seekers cruising the site. To reiterate, this is primarily a design job, you'll have plenty of opportunities to work on section fronts and you'll never work Saturdays. Again, if you have any questions, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted