1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/Copy Editor, Lynchburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Apparently one of their dudes got one of those NASCAR jobs posted recently.

Company: The News and Advance
    Position: Sports designer/copy editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: January 31, 2008
    Job ID: 336095

Description:
    The News and Advance, a 38,000-circulation daily in Central Virginia, is anticipating an opening for a sports designer/copy editor. Knowledge of Quark Xpress essential, experience at a smaller paper a plus. Experience using Photoshop and Illustrator desired but not essential. You'll design section fronts two nights a week and work inside pages the other three. A good opportunity for a designer and copy editor who is interested in getting to the big leagues. We're a Media General community newspaper and have a reputation for providing journalists the experience needed to move to a major daily. Lynchburg has a Class A professional baseball team, Division I basketball and football, and several other colleges with athletic programs. We cover 20 high schools as well as the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech and Liberty University athletics. Send a cover letter, resume and 5-7 work samples to Chris Morris, Sports Editor, The News and Advance, P.O. Box 10129, Lynchburg, Va., 24506, or e-mail cmorris@newsadvance.com.

2. How much pay can you expect for a position like this is a college town like Lynchburg?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not a lot but it is a good town, a good paper, a good place to work. And Lynchburg is more than a college town, even with the incredible growth of Liberty University.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Assuming none of them have left, the three college writers at this paper (yes, three -- Va. Tech, Virginia, Liberty) are all solid and provide good content in the form of gamers and features. Seems like that would be a huge plus for a desk guy.

I haven't been real impressed with Lynchburg outside of some really kick-ass people who I've met there. But when in doubt, you can't fail with a place that serves pitchers at rediculously cheap rates ($2?)

5. i know someone here. he loves it.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand the lemonade is splendid.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mmmmmmmm Mudpuppy's, though I haven't been to its new location.

MU is right. Chris Lang, Nathan Warters and Andy Bitter are good, clean writers. A good gig, with good people.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

PM me if you have questions about the gig.

9. Needs_More_Cowbell

Needs_More_Cowbell New Member

Sadly, that is the wrong Lynchburg (Tennessee, not Virginia).

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The one in Tennessee isn't much better.

11. Needs_More_Cowbell

Needs_More_Cowbell New Member

At least it's not the nation's leading exporter of Jerry Falwell.

12. Chris Lang may be a good writer, but he's about to get worked in some Scrabulous.

Draft saved Draft deleted